This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

For some people, the friendships made in high school are some of the best they have had. However, it is rare that you go to the same college as your high school bestie and even if you do, college is a different environment and so the relationships are different. When at college, you soon find out that some people you were friends with in high school, were only your friends because you saw them 5 days a week. In college, there is more variation in classes and more people so the friends you have are your friends because you chose them. And then those relationships you had in high school fall through the cracks. Even so, there are still those high school friends that stick. That real close best friend who you want to continue to stay in contact with. So, how do you continue this relationship through the giant transition from high school to college?

It’s honestly not that difficult with the technology we have today. A relationship nowadays can be kept through calling, texting, and video chat. But the main difference between the high school relationship you and your bestie had and now this new college relationship is that relationships now require choice and effort. That may seem obvious but in high school the effort is almost done for you because of the high school environment. The independence you have in college is great but that means it’s up to you to make and grow in your friendships, especially with a high school friend that isn’t on the same campus, in the same city or even in the same timezone.

You will also be creating new friendships during your college experience that may distract you from that high school best friend that you really do love. That may sound bad but it’s true and it happens. But don’t worry, if you truly want to be friends with someone it will happen and there is no doubt in my mind that you can continue a high school relationship into college. All it takes is a little bit of effort. 

a writer and editor for the UNCG chapter of Her Campus.