This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

One of the huge perks of college is having a winter break that lasts for about a month, but sometimes when you go home for break, you find yourself bored after about four days. To help with the transition between semesters, try these tips for having a productive (but still fun) winter break.

Apply for internships and jobs.

Whether you get a job just over winter break or use this time to apply for positions that start in the spring semester, finding some way to get experience in your field or just earn some money is a great way to spend your free time this winter.

Take a month-long class.

Knocking out a Gen Ed course or taking a new class that might be outside of your comfort zone is a great way to keep yourself in school mode over winter break, and if you take the class online, you can still work on your own time. This can also help boost your credits and help you finish a prerequisite for a course you need in the spring.

Catch up with old friends.

Chances are you ended up at a school that not all of your best friends from home also attend, so winter break is a great time to see friends from other schools and catch up on all that has happened this semester. This could include having an exciting night out on the town or just hanging at home and having coffee. It is important to cherish the time you have with those you will not see regularly at school before break is over.

Set yourself up for a fresh start.

A new semester and new year is a great chance for a new you. Whether this means cleaning out your closet and making a trip to Goodwill, buying some fresh notebooks and cute pens or trying out a new diet and exercise plan, making a clean slate for the next semester can help you start without the stress. Take time to clear your mind out as well, so you will not be bringing baggage and worries from last semester into the new season of growth and renewal.

Winter break is a great time to relax after surviving the fall semester, but it can also be used to get a jump start on the next semester and plan ahead to save yourself some stress later.

My name is Isabella Whitehead, but I mostly go by Bella. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Consumer, Apparel and Retail Studies. I have been a part of the Her Campus UNCG team since Fall 2017 and will be stepping up this year as a Co-Campus Correspondent. Writing is a passion of mine and I enjoy working with HerCampus to inform, entertain and empower my fellow students.