This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

It’s that passionate time of year again! Valentine’s Day, which means it’s time to show your loved ones how much you care about them. Whether it’s your partner, family member or friend; Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show your affection. Valentine’s Day is known as the love holiday and what’s a better way to show someone how much you love them than buying them a bunch of expensive gifts and taking them on an overpriced date? Although some of us would absolutely love to provide extravagant gifts to our loved ones, when you are a college student, you have to be realistic. With all the student loans and lack of spending money you have as a full time student, it’s hard to splurge for that special someone, which is why I’ve come up with a few reasonably priced date ideas for you and your valentine.

1. Cook Dinner

Cooking is not only cheaper then going to an overpriced restaurant with mediocre service, it provides the perfect environment to get to know your Valentine. Or maybe you can exchange recipes. Whatever the case may be, home cooked meals usually taste better and bring people together. 

2. See a Movie

You don’t have to go to a movie theater if you don’t want to, especially since theaters are costly even with the student discount. Plus the chairs are known for being uncomfortable. With this in mind, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Redbox are always popularly priced options. So pick something you both want to see and enjoy!

3. Explore Downtown

Downtown Greensboro is a very popular place for its residents. Exploring different stores, bars and restaurants might be the perfect outing. To keep it low-cost, take some time to walk around and enjoy the sites and/or museums!

4. Attend a free event

If you attend UNCG then you know that there is something happening on campus almost every day. More than likely, the event you encounter will either be free or have a low price. I’ve seen plenty of flyers and signs that displayed some Valentine’s Day events.

There are plenty of entertaining and lively adventures found in Greensboro, it’s just a matter of looking. Once you know what your Valentine is interested in, go from there. You can go bowling, have fun at the Trampoline Park, go skating, or bar hop. Know your budget, plan your location and show your Valentine how much they mean to you. Thinking about Valentine’s Day makes you miss those grade school days when you could buy your classmates something and you knew you would get something from them. Keep in mind, there is an endless number of ways that you can show someone that you truly care about them. For those of you who can afford to go all out for Valentine’s Day and spoil your Valentine, that’s great, shoutout to you. Consider this the diary of a moderately broke college student and don’t feel ashamed if money is an issue, it’s the thought that counts. Have fun achieving your ideal Valentine’s Day!

My name is Morgan Collins, I am 21 years old and I am currently enrolled at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro as a Senior. I am a Media Studies Major and I am interested in photography as well.