Advice for Freshman from a Super Senior

We’re a little over a month into school, and things are starting to get stressful. There are tests, projects, presentations, and the fun of syllabus week and labor day weekend is over. So as a super-senior, I’ve been through this time period a few times and I’d like to pass along my advice for those who are struggling. You got this, and you can make it through, trust me!

1. Go to your professors and if you can’t make it to office hours, make an appointment.

2. Find a place where you can study, but remember that the library isn’t always the best place.

3. Get out of your room - a change in scenery does wonders.

4. Make a list of your priorities.

5. Take it one day at a time.

6. Ask for help - get a tutor if you need one.

7. Go see the writing center, speaking center and all the other resources offered on campus.

8. Take a break when you need one.

9. Eat foods that make you feel good.

10. Get some fresh air and exercise.

11. Visit some place that helps you feel better, whether that’s therapy, the art museum or a walk in the park.

12. Don’t wait until the last minute, start your projects as soon as you can.

13. All-nighters might happen, but they don’t have to.

14. Know your limits - staying up till 4 am won’t help if you end up sleeping through everything.

15. Celebrate the little things! Every good grade or successful presentation deserves to be celebrated even in small ways.

I hope these tips that I have learned from experience will help you have a successful first year of college!