Work and Play: Creating a Healthy Balance Between the Two in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

When I was a freshman, my work-to-play ratio was about 90:10. I went in hard on schoolwork, picked up long shifts at work on the weekend and turned down many offers to see friends to study. Sounds fun, right? By the end of my first semester, I had no idea what everyone meant when they said college was the best time of their lives. Seriously, how could that be? Then I realized that most people prioritize things other than just schoolwork at all times. Now, halfway through my first semester of sophomore year, I’ve not only untangled the ropes of college in general, but created a healthy balance for myself between work and play. My productivity, stress management and enjoyment of college in general have each increased since learning these things. 

In moderation, we should be having fun in this period of our lives. College is the ideal time slot for us to enjoy our friends’ company in exciting places, meet people, try new things and just live, in general. Obviously, school should remain at the top of our list of priorities (among our mental and physical health), but if we never reward ourselves for the hard work we put in, it will quickly drain us. Like I said, I tried the whole All Work, No Play thing and it did not do me justice. Sure, my grades were top notch in that phase, but I was dreading being on my college campus in every other aspect. And, just to note, my grades have in no way suffered since I adopted the idea that it’s okay to live a little, while productively achieving my school goals simultaneously.

Managing your time efficiently and effectively will go a long way in balancing work and play. When I know I have plans on a certain day of the week, I plan out my entire itinerary in terms of schoolwork. In other words, I ask myself what needs to get done in order for me to not fall behind in my classes if I go out with friends later in the week. While this sometimes means I have a heavier load of work on one day, I am always grateful that I have a clear schedule on the days that I made fun plans. If you have the energy and motivation to work ahead, do it.

With that said, don’t overextend yourself. Plans can always be rescheduled, rearranged or skipped. Know your limits and that you are allowed to decline plans if you have a particularly stressful school week ahead. The same goes for job and organizational responsibilities. If you find yourself spending 90% of your time at work and in the library, it may be time to take a productive break that gives your brain some stress release. It’s all about balancing responsibilities and leisure to a healthy degree. Too much of one or the other will never result in a successful semester.  

Levelling the scale of work and play this semester has drastically changed my outlook on college. By rewarding myself for studying hard and getting the ‘A’ with a night of fun, I’ve taught myself that balance between the two is the most effective way for me to thrive. Pushing ourselves to the edge academically can be detrimental to our overall health, so I think it’s more than okay to squeeze in a little fun time every now and then. Prioritize balance in your life, and you will reap the rewards.

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.