Underrated Queer Music Artists Everyone Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

While artists like boygenius, Lil Nas X, and girl in red are receiving their rightful moments in the spotlight for their unapologetically queer music, the world of LGBT+ music artists is far more vast than it may look on the surface. There are so many lesser known artists whose music is incredibly deserving of more praise. I’ve selected five (plus a few honorable mentions) that I believe have great music but don’t get enough time in the spotlight.

1. Rina Sawayama

Rina Sawayama is an alternative and indie artist who has plenty of head banging worthy music full of LGBT+ empowerment. She has also collaborated with singers such as Lady Gaga and Charlie XCX. Rina’s music has already been very successful, but I personally feel that she is underrated because her music is jaw dropping in comparison to how lesser known she is. A couple of my favorite songs of Rina’s are “Hold the Girl,” and “This Hell.” But turn on any of her songs and I promise you will feel like jumping out of your seat and dancing.

2. Cavetown

Cavetown, aka Robin Skinner, is a transgender artist who started producing his mellow and imaginative indie music at the age of 14 and is now 23. They have also collaborated with bigger indie artists like mxmtoon. His songs range from light ukulele ballads like “This Is Home” to more indie rock songs like “Devil Town.” One of my favorite part of their songs is the lyrics, his poetic style is thoughtful and oftentimes feels very relatable.

3. Tegan and Sara

Identical twin duo Tegan and Sara have been popular within the LGBT+ community, specifically with queer women, since the early 2000s. Their music has a grungy, indie alternative pop style to it, and they were such icons in the lesbian community during the 2000s that they even did a cameo appearance on The L Word. Some of their songs also played in the early seasons of Grey’s Anatomy. However, today many younger members of the LGBT+ community are unaware of them even though they continue to release music. Both their older songs, such as “Where Does the Good Go?” and their recent releases, such as “Yellow,” and “Girl Talk,” are worth adding to your liked songs.

4. Rio Romeo

Rio Romeo is a piano-centric cabaret punk and indie pop artist with a voice so beautiful you will practically swoon when you hear it. Their style is totally unique and will make you feel like you’ve traveled back in time to a secret speakeasy. Much of their music has unapologetically queer themes as well. My personal favorite song of theirs is “Butch 4 Butch,” and I also highly recommend their EP “Valentine.” Their music definitely deserves more hype than it gets, everyone should be listening to it.

5. Mother Mother

Mother Mother is an indie rock band that has been vocal in their support for the trans and nonbinary community and often writes music questioning heteronormativity in society and what it means to feel alienated. In their own words, their “mission is to be a home for souls that feel they don’t fit in anywhere else.” So of course, they have a huge LGBT+ following. Still, I find myself recommending Mother Mother to people who haven’t heard of them all the time, so I thought they made a perfect addition to this list. A couple of their most popular songs are “Hayloft” and “Verbatim.”

Although I could keep going on and on for paragraphs about underrated artists whose music is boldly queer, I only have so much time. So, please enjoy these honorable mentions for this list: RAT BATH, beabadoobee, Cayley Spivey, UMI, and Hollie Col. I highly recommend giving all of these artists a try, I think there is something on this list for everyone. Check a few of them out, you may just find your new favorite artist or song.

Rian Snead (they/them) is currently a student at the University of Missouri – Kansas City majoring in health sciences and pursuing a minor in race, ethnic and gender studies. They were born in KC and grew up in Liberty, Missouri. In addition to writing imaginative stories, they love to write about history, health care and LGBT+ topics.