Life > Academics

Tips for Writing an Undergraduate Thesis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Undertaking a senior thesis or capstone project is often the most daunting assignment of almost every student’s undergraduate career. However, I would argue that it is simultaneously the most fulfilling aspect of one’s undergraduate career and, once it’s finished, results in incomparable feelings of pride and satisfaction. After completing my own undergraduate thesis this past December, I have ruminated on some of the best advice and tips I received from advisors, mentors and professors, and have compiled them into the list below.

Identify an area of study that genuinely interests and excites you.

Writing your thesis or developing a senior capstone project offers much more freedom and independence than you may have been used to. For one, it allows you to have complete autonomy over the subject of your research, which is what can make it equally thrilling and overwhelming. You’re about to commit to at least a semester of extensive study on a very specific topic, and it is incredibly important for the quality of your work as well as your own peace of mind that you are captivated and intrigued by your research question. 

It might be difficult to decide where to start, so begin by thinking about classes or previous assignments you enjoyed. Consider contemporary problems or issues that you’re passionate about as well, and think about potential avenues that will allow you to integrate those themes into your research. It helps to start big and then narrow down, although it is important to remember that this is an undergraduate thesis. Chances are, you’re not going to discover the cure to cancer or decipher the Minoan Linear A script. This isn’t supposed to be a pioneering or breakthrough study, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Use your thesis as an opportunity to explore a subject you’re interested in and to formally engage with the research process.

Keep a running list of all your sources.

An important part of narrowing down the subject and scope of your research is reading as much as possible. You will spend hours upon hours reading articles, studies and books about your area of interest. For that reason, it is important to stay organized by compiling a running list of all the source material you have consumed. A running list, however, does not simply mean a folder in your bookmarks bar with links to every journal article you’ve ever glanced at. 

While it is perfectly reasonable to compile links to all your sources, I recommend going a step further. In a Word document or Google Doc, do your best to create an annotated bibliography – meaning, at the very least, include a citation and a short annotation of 150-250 words for each source (this annotation should address the author’s credentials, the main arguments, the supporting evidence and the source’s relevance to your research question). In addition to a citation and annotation, I also found it very helpful to embed lists of key quotations I identified in each source, as well as to categorize my sources by theme. Believe me: staying organized is not an easy thing to do. But once you begin the writing process, you will undoubtedly thank yourself for your dedication and diligence.

Familiarize yourself with and take advantage of library resources.

I understand how easy it is to tune out during class presentations from the university librarians. Unfortunately, I’m very much guilty of doing it, myself. However, the information relayed in these presentations is often laden with information about library resources and capabilities that will aid you tremendously in your research. It is best to familiarize yourself with these facilities as early as possible, especially if you need to place interlibrary loan requests for items such as microfilm (which not only takes quite some time to arrive, but also requires a lot of time to review). Additionally, the university library provides you access to all kinds of resources, including online databases, archival materials and the expertise of the librarians, themselves.

Your tuition pays for all of these services, and it would be a pity not to take advantage of them!

Manage your time wisely.

Time management is so important when it comes to completing your thesis. While a semester or an entire year may seem like plenty of time, it’s gone before you know it. For that reason, it becomes very important to set and adhere to deadlines so that you can maximize your time and be as productive as possible.

When you begin, establish goals for yourself (i.e. by the end of the semester, I will read and annotate 60 sources, and I will complete my prospectus). Then, set aside time every week so that you can accomplish your goals. Your course syllabus will provide a good barometer for pacing yourself, but it will also help to consult your advisor. 

Above all, be persistent. It is very easy to fall behind, so consistency and stamina are crucial. That being said, don’t stretch yourself too thin. Create manageable targets, and always build time into your schedule for self-care.

Communicate with your advisor on a regular basis.

For me, the best part of writing my thesis was developing a relationship with my thesis advisor. She has such an incredible wealth of knowledge, and she always provided very helpful and constructive commentary and feedback on my work. In fact, she just finished writing letters of recommendation for my graduate school applications.

However, you must remember that your advisor can only help you if you make it a point to communicate with them. Send them updates on a regular basis (I recommend at least every two weeks), and schedule meetings with them at least once a month. Your professors are busy people, so be sure to respect your advisor’s time by providing advance notice of your deadlines and offering them enough time to review your materials. 

While it can be intimidating to work so closely with a professor, recall that your advisor greatly appreciates your shared interest in their research and genuinely wants to help you. Communication is key, and your sustained diligence will result in a new, rich and fulfilling connection within your professional network.

Original research is a challenging, though admirable, undertaking filled with all kinds of highs and lows along the way. Hopefully, as you embark on the journey of writing your own thesis, you find these tips helpful! While it is a long and arduous road ahead, I promise that it will all feel worthwhile by the time you finish. Good luck!

Niki is a third-year student at UMKC pursuing double majors in history and English along with a minor in film studies. Outside of writing and re-watching her favorite Tom Cruise movies, you can find her listening to audiobooks while on strolls through the park or walks around her neighborhood. She enjoys talking about travel, literature, health, wellness, and skincare and can never turn down a good cup of tea.