Career > Work

Three Ways To Make Extra Cash As A College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Throughout college, I have been more broke than ever before and probably the most broke I will ever be. With the inflation of college costs over the last few decades, it can seem quite daunting to consider how to pay for it all. While getting a job is a logical solution, not every job is easy to implement into a schedule full of classes, studying and extracurricular activities. That being said, there are many ways to make a bit of extra cash as a college student.

GoPeer Tutoring

GoPeer is a tutoring website that aims to connect K-12 students across the country with college students. The application process is very brief, it is easy to be approved as a tutor and you have the ability to choose which subjects and grade levels you feel comfortable tutoring for. Additionally, one of the perks of this website is that you have full autonomy over your schedule, which can be incredibly helpful during busy times such as exam weeks. Furthermore, GoPeer does not take a cut of what you make, so all of the money you make is entirely yours. As a medical student who is interested in teaching, I have found tutoring to be incredibly helpful in sharpening my knowledge and preparing me for a future teaching career. I have also found it so enriching to interact with students from all around the country and at all different levels in their education.

UberEats

UberEats is another great employment option if you are looking for a job that allows you full autonomy over your schedule. The app is very user-friendly, and whenever you are in the mood to work, you just switch your account to “on” and accept requests as you please. Uber pays all of their drivers a base salary, but similar to a job as a waiter or waitress, the customers you are delivering food to can choose to give tips, which greatly increases the amount of money you make. This job is especially great if you live in the city and have time to work in the evenings, as you will get lots of request traffic with the dinner rush. This is also a great option if you want to work for Uber but are not fond of the idea of other people riding in your car.

Poshmark

While this might not be the most lucrative of the options, Poshmark is an excellent way to make a bit of extra cash, especially if you have a lot of things you are looking to get rid of. While originally designed for selling used clothing, Poshmark is perfect for resale of any used items. I aim to clean out my closet at least twice a year, and it has been comforting to know that the items I no longer want could potentially get used by someone new. Not only does this provide me with extra spending money, but it also contributes to environmental sustainability. While Poshmark does take a fee of your profits, they also provide the shipping labels and a secure method of transaction, taking a lot of the stress out of resale.

Paying for college can be stressful, and while budgeting is certainly helpful, earning extra income can lessen the financial strain that comes along with paying for higher education. That being said, many jobs are not able to offer the flexible hours that a college student may need. Whether you are looking for ways to help pay for college, lessen student loan debt or have a bit of extra fun money, then these three ways are a great place to start.

Hi everyone! My name is Abby, and I am currently a fifth year in UMKC's six year B.A./M.D. program. My hobbies include triathlons, exploring coffee shops in the Kansas City area, and playing the piano. I also enjoy a good book, and my favorite author is Sarah J. Maas.