This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

There are many study techniques that you can use, but I find that the Pomodoro technique is the best way to stay focused when you’re studying and ensures that you take breaks in between. I have used this technique many times on a daily basis, especially before a big exam. 

It is a very effective way to make sure that you do not get distracted during your studying. I find that I go on my phone a lot. Even if I try to put it in a different room or away from me, I get distracted in other ways. When you build in breaks using the Pomodoro technique, you can resist the urge to go on your phone and get distracted. Especially since the time that you have to study at a stretch without a break is short, it is easy to stay focused for that time. I do agree that the breaks are a little short, but they do help keep you on track. You can think of it as a reward-based system where you study focused for a while and then you can take a break. 

It also helps to make sure all my tasks last at the same time that I have to study at a stretch. Personally, I find it hard to take a break when you’re in the middle of studying one topic. So I usually try to finish one thing on my list in 25 minutes (for example, one Anki deck). Then, during the break, I can reset and do another focused task. For example, if you were writing an essay, you could dedicate one page worth of the essay to one Pomodoro (one 25 minute stretch). 

Studying without breaks makes it harder to retain information in the long run. I also found that when I study for many hours straight without a break, I lose my efficiency. Also, when I go on my phone after spending a long time studying, it is harder for me to get off my phone at the end. It also increases motivation when you allow yourself to take a break. 

You can find many timers/videos/apps for the Pomodoro technique online that will help you stay on track. Some also have alarms that alert you for your breaks and when you have to get back on track so you don’t have to keep time for everything yourself.

Here is the Pomodoro technique that I use: 

Study – 25 mins 

Break – 5 mins 

Study – 25 mins 

Break – 5 mins 

Study – 25 mins 

Break – 5 mins 

Study – 25 minus

Break –  5 mins

Longer break – 30 mins 

Then repeat as needed.

The breaks that the Pomodoro technique incorporates will help you stay focused on your work while also allowing time to relax in between! I hope you find this method of studying useful! I know that it helps me stay organized and efficient with my work while also helping me avoid burnout. Happy studying!

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!