This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As someone who is completely and utterly book-obsessed, my To Be Read (or TBR) list is never-ending and I am constantly fighting the urge to buy more books. I have so many new books that I acquired recently through shopping or friends and some old ones that I haven’t read yet. With this in mind, I made a list of the next fifteen books I will read before I allow myself to buy any more books. This list isn’t in any particular order and I’m just going to choose the next book from the list as I go!

First, let’s talk about the sequels on this list: When We Left Cuba by Chanel Cleeton and Hook, Line, and Sinker by Tessa Bailey. The former is the second book following Next Year in Havana and details the perspective of a different sister. This novel includes historical elements surrounding the Cold War and Cuban-American politics during the 1960s and I am so excited to read it since I was so captivated by the first book! The book by Tessa Bailey is the second book after It Happened One Summer and I am really looking forward to reading about the same characters and reading this light-hearted rom-com.

Next up, I have two books by Taylor Jenkins Reid that have been so popular and come highly recommended. The books are The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Malibu Rising, both fiction but very different stories involving secrets and tragedies and supposedly very enthralling drama. Another book by Taylor Jenkins Reid that I plan on reading after I finish this list is Daisy Jones and the Six because I have heard amazing things about this one too!

Recently, I have started using Book of the Month to discover new and carefully curated selections. For my March box, I chose three books: Malibu Rising, The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd and Tell Me Everything by Erika Krouse. The Cartographers is a suspenseful thriller following the treacherous journey of maps and uncovering family secrets. Tell Me Everything is the autobiography of a private investigator who worked on a case that became a historic civil rights case and national scandal. 

One of my all-time favorite types of books are those involving female spies. When We Left Cuba, is a previous mention but I also included The Riviera House by Natasha Lester and Bluff by Jane Stanton Hitchcock. I am so excited to read these two and it seems especially fitting to be reading these novels about powerful women during Women’s History Month.

Next on the list are four books that have been on my bookshelves for a few months now and I am thrilled to finally read them. First up is It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover and I have never had a book be recommended to me as much as this one. I have heard so much about this one and look forward to reading it even though everyone tells me that it is very emotionally distressing. Also on the list are novels The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick, Life of Pi by Yann Martel and Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. The Library of Lost and Found is a humorous book involving family secrets and mystery. Life of Pi is a modern classic involving a shipwreck, adventure, survival and zoo animals. Anxious People is a psychological story and crime novel involving humor and mystery and a group of hostages. 

The final three books on the list are historical fiction novels: The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee, Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams and The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins. The Downstairs Girl details the story of a popular but secret advice columnist who writes about societal issues in Atlanta, Georgia as an Asian American in the 19th century. Her Last Flight is a historical fiction and romance novel that explores the story of a female air pilot’s mysterious fate following the joining of loyalist forces in the Spanish Civil War. The Confessions of Frannie Langton is the story of a woman being accused of murdering her employers though she has no recollection of what happened that night. This book examines race, class and oppression through the lens of crime in the 19th century in London.
I plan to start with Tell Me Everything because I am really excited for a true story and to learn about the author’s experience as a private investigator. Since the rest of the list happens to be fiction and I read a lot of fiction in February, I want to start with nonfiction. I hope you found some of these books interesting and this article helpful in creating your own TBR list.

Leah is currently an Honors student at UMKC studying Criminal Justice and Psychology. In her free time she enjoys reading books about court cases and painting commission pieces. She is passionate about advocacy, self care, and human rights.