andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Survival Guide for Long-Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The 31st of August is my significant other’s birthday. This is perfect timing for us to see each other, since it falls right in during Labor Day weekend. You may be wondering why this was so beneficial to our relationship and I’m here to tell you that it’s because we are in a long-distance relationship. My significant other and I have been together for about a year and a half now, but we never see each other regularly. I get many questions about how we make it work. If you are in a long-distance relationship or are thinking about getting involved in one, here are some tips to have a long-lasting, long-distance relationship.

Find a medium through which you can communicate

When you’re long-distance, you’re not going to  have many opportunities to see each other in person. Most of the time, it is all synchronized online. With that being said, find an online platform where you can communicate. It can be text message, Facebook Messenger, Facetime or even Twitter and Instagram! Find what works for you.

Figure out your schedules to talk/see each other

Long-distance takes some extensive planning every now and then. Find out when your schedules line up for some free time and when you can best talk to each other at ease. Your activities, events and classes will not always line up with your significant other. However,  if you can figure out times that do and don’t work ahead of time, it will spare you lots of worrying and anxiety about when you’re going to be able to talk and see each other. It will also add a steady routine to your relationship.

Talk about your common interests

It can be a little difficult to figure out things to do together since you don’t always see each other. Figure out some new and exciting ways to spice up the relationship by doing things apart, but together. You can always read a book and discuss it, stream a movie together by using a screen-sharing service or listen to music together. It may be hard to find out what to do at first, but the right idea will present itself to you. 

Save money

If you’re planning on making trips to see each other, make sure to save your money. This is extremely important because airline fees and gas prices are always changing. Always put some money aside for your trips because if the fares happen to be expensive, you will have money to help fund your trips. Monitor airline sites and gas stations to see when the best deals are. The best go-to site for airline prices is Expedia.

Stay optimistic and trust each other

Long-distance relationships are not easy or perfect. There may be times where you feel like everything is falling apart and nothing is working out, but stay positive and talk it out with your partner. They may be feeling the same way. A relationship will never last if it’s built on uncertainty and not trusting what’s to come. A long-distance relationship is very likely to make you stronger because you learn how to be independent but still maintain a relationship.  

My long-distance relationship has given me some of the best times of my life. However, I could not have done it without keeping some of these tips in mind. The best thing you can do for yourself and each other is to plan ahead, but also let everything happen when it is supposed to. These types of relationships can be a big source of anxiety for some. If you are considering being in a long-distance relationship or if you are already in one, these tips will definitely help you out.

Maddie Houx is a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City majoring in psychology and minoring in criminal justice. She is a second-year Her Campus member and is also a mentor on campus for students with disabilities. She is passionate about food, advocacy, and her favorite sports teams.