ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Simple Holiday Gift Ideas for Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The holiday season is officially here, which means it’s the time of year when we’re bombarded by commercials touting shiny new toys and great holiday deals. With all this consumerism and holiday spirit in the air, the pressure is on for broke college students. How do you manage finding gifts for your family and friends when you have about five dollars and a penny in your bank account? Fortunately, for all us broke people out there, we don’t need to worry. There are still a lot of great gifts we can give our loved ones. And no, I’m not talking hugs for Christmas. These three simple and cheap gift ideas should get you totally ready for the holidays.

1. Gift Your TimeSometimes, we get so caught up in the stress and responsibilities of our own lives that we miss out on valuable time spent with our friends and family. If you really want a gift your loved ones will cherish, gift them a little bit of your time! Memories are even more precious than material things. You can be as creative or simple with it as you want, but one great way to do this is by creating little coupons they can redeem. Perhaps these coupons are for a night in with dinner and a movie, or for a walk in the park. You could even turn your gift of time into labor, offering your services to help them out by cleaning their house or cooking meals. Regardless of how you choose to package this gift, your family and friends are sure to appreciate it.

2. Get Crafty and Creative

When it comes to making homemade gifts, you have lots of options. The very idea that you poured your heart into something is what matters most to them. For example, if you know how to sew or knit, make something cute and fashionable like a scarf. You could also make a thoughtful and functional gift, like mittens. These clothing articles are perfect for the winter weather. On the other hand, maybe you enjoy writing and want to compose a poem or short story in their honor. Perhaps you’re an artist and want to draw their portrait. The greatest thing about homemade gifts is that you don’t need a skill or trade to make something cool. It could be as simple as making a calendar for them or putting together a scrapbook. Sprinkle a little love and sentiment into whatever you decide to create and your gift will surely be worth much more than anything money can buy.

3. Make Gift Baskets

So you’re probably thinking, aren’t gift baskets expensive?! Sure, they can be, but not if you put them together yourself. It may cost a few dollars to assemble, but it definitely won’t be putting a dent in your wallet. The first step to creating a gift basket is, obviously, the basket. You can use woven baskets lying around, a little bucket or even a shoe box that you decided to paint and spruce up. If you can’t find anything at home that would work, just pick up a basket at the dollar store. In fact, your local dollar store will be the ideal destination for all your gift basket goodies! You can fill it with candy, toys, makeup and even cute little trinkets. Seriously, just walk right into a dollar store and have at it. Once you’ve compiled everything, you’re all set! Nothing’s cuter than a self-made gift basket with a pretty bow on top.

Once you’ve finished preparing your inexpensive gifts, you can focus on what really matters this time of year. Not all the shiny presents and new toys, but the memories you get to make with those you love. Happy Holidays!