This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In the spirit of the Missouri Democratic Primary this Tuesday, it’s important to recognize that this upcoming presidential election is one that will significantly influence the course of our lifetimes. Why? Because the issues of contention are ones that will dictate the future of our society and our wellbeing in every way imaginable. 

This election will decide whether our world will be one with clean air and water. Whether or not women will have the right to choose. The future of healthcare. A balanced Supreme Court. The safety of our schools and our streets. The fundamental values of justice and equality. 

This election is about young people. It’s about our passion and our commitment to creating a country that upholds the values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It’s about advocating for democracy and a government that’s representative of the immense diversity of our population. It’s about rising in the face of adversity and confronting a system that seeks to oppress and silence the weak. 

In circumstances like these, we need to empower each other and ourselves because we deserve more than just survival. We deserve to live in a society that wants to give us opportunities and support us so that we can thrive. 

We need to realize that we are capable of creating a livable future, and our past is evidence of that. The great movements throughout history have been ones propelled by the hands, feet and voices of our nation’s youth. In dire situations, inspired change has come from us.

In 1960, the Greensboro Sit-Ins were demonstrations started by four university students that ignited the spark that mobilized thousands of people to join the Civil Rights Movement.

In 1971, during the midst of social and political turmoil during the Vietnam War, young people took to the streets and worked tirelessly towards ratifying the 26th Amendment which lowered the voting age from twenty-one to eighteen.

In 2006, nationwide protests orchestrated by the American youth killed legislation that aimed to stack additional penalties on illegal immigrants that were fleeing for their lives.

In 2018, the indignation of high school students became the foundation of a powerful movement against gun violence; it amounted to the passing of almost 70 gun safety bills across the country, remarkable increases in voter registration and the most diverse Congress in history.

The proof of our power and resilience is harbored in decades of demonstrations and revolutions. Time and time again, our voices have had the strength to move mountains. When we’re fueled by a passion to protect our rights and freedoms, we’re a fiery and unstoppable force that cannot be quelled until change is made. 

This presidential election will be a moment in history that will define our lives forever. 

Now is the time to act. Pick your candidates. Take to the streets. Knock on doors. Make phone calls. Do everything in your power to advocate for the people who are fighting to give us the support, the opportunities and the future we deserve.

But please, if nothing else, vote. Vote like your life, your freedom and your future depend on it because right now, it does.

Niki is a third-year student at UMKC pursuing double majors in history and English along with a minor in film studies. Outside of writing and re-watching her favorite Tom Cruise movies, you can find her listening to audiobooks while on strolls through the park or walks around her neighborhood. She enjoys talking about travel, literature, health, wellness, and skincare and can never turn down a good cup of tea.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.