This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If you have not watched The Bear on Hulu, drop everything you’re doing and start watching it now. This show makes you feel like you’re waking up with the characters and walking alongside them as they go through their daily routine. I think that there are very few shows that allow for the audience to feel that kind of connection with the story and the characters. This show made me laugh and even cry. I will personally call the Academy myself if this show is not nominated for any awards. 

The Bear is a modern take on the classic American-comedy genre—except they do not shy away from issues that everyday people experience such as grief, anxiety and depression. The main character in this show is a young chef named Carmy that left his hometown of Chicago to receive classical training in culinary. He became an extremely successful culinary chef and worked in some of the most renowned restaurants all over the world. 

Unfortunately, he received some devastating news that his older brother passed away by suicide. Upon hearing this news, Carmy has to return to Chicago to take over his family restaurant: “The Bear.” The restaurant has been run-down and not managed properly, so not only is Carmy going through the grief of losing his brother, but he is also taxed with the responsibility of trying to bring the restaurant back to life. The other kitchen staff that worked with his brother also are grieving the loss but are not used to his management skills.

This show truly encapsulates the gritty and intense nature of a kitchen environment during its highest and lowest moments. The producers also do a phenomenal job including the personal stories of each character and who they are in the kitchen and outside the kitchen. The spirit of Chicago is also very well played out with the colorful jargon and overall culture of the city.

This show touches on so many realities that everyone can relate to, especially the pressure of running a small business and how stressful it can be. The show captures the pressure of adulting and how Carmy took on a huge responsibility at such a young age in order to keep his family business alive. Overall, I rate this show a solid 9.5/10. I deducted .5 points  because the episodes weren’t long enough. This show is truly a piece of art and deserves every award it gets nominated for. 

Hi everyone ! My name is Maryam Oyebamiji and I am currently pursuing my undergraduate degree in Urban Planning and Design, with a minor in English on a Pre-Law track.