My Dream Fall Weekend in Kansas City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I have an obsession with romanticizing my life every day of the week, especially on weekends. Sometimes I wish life didn’t have to be romanticized to make it bearable but that’s how I get through each day, week, month and year. This article is about my dream fall weekend while in the dorms. In a perfect life, I would be in my own sky-high apartment in the middle of the Power & Light District, but I’m still in college and I want to make the daydream realistic. Here is a breakdown of each day of my dream fall weekend in Kansas City. 

Friday Night:

After finishing all of my homework on Friday at 4 p.m., I change into leggings, a crewneck, my jean jacket and converse. I drive to my favorite coffee shop in Kansas City, Urban Prairie, and order a Spooky Cookie Latte. Once I grab my coffee, I go straight to Home Goods, Bath & Body Works and TJ Maxx for a long retail therapy session. While shopping, I find a burnt orange pillow, pumpkin scented body wash and a cream cable knit sweater. After sipping on my coffee and shopping for three hours, I drive to Panera for dinner and order a bowl of chicken and wild rice soup to warm me up after being in the cool fall air. Once back at my dorm, I jump into the shower, use my new pumpkin-scented body wash and change into a comfy t-shirt and sweatpants. After getting warm and comfy, I make myself a cup of hot cocoa and turn on Disney’s “Soul.” I fall asleep during the movie and it is the end of a long hard week.

Saturday:

I wake up at nine in the morning on Saturday after getting more than eight hours of sleep. I brush my teeth and hair, wash my face and get dressed in jeans and a cute sweater. Once I am ready to “slay the day” as my mom would say, I head out to the Roasterie on Brookside Boulevard and order an iced pumpkin latte with a chorizo breakfast burrito. After I’m done sitting on the outside patio, sipping my coffee and munching on my burrito, I take a small walk down the Harry Wiggins Trolley Trail to enjoy the fall-colored leaves. I walk for 10 minutes, get in my car, go pick up some friends and we make our way down to the Historic West Bottoms’ Shops. My friends and I walk from store to store finding the cutest home goods for Thanksgiving and Christmas decorating. Although the Christmas season is over a month away, I can’t resist buying at least one Santa gnome. As the stores start to close between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m., we make our way back to the campus area to treat ourselves to the Cheesecake Factory. I order the Four Cheese Pasta for dinner and the Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake for dessert. We stuff ourselves full, drop everyone off at their houses and make it home by 9:00 p.m. I take a warm relaxing bath, change into comfy pajamas and go straight to bed. 

Sunday: 

I wake up at nine, brush my teeth and hair, wash my face, put on sweatpants and a tank top. On Sunday, I take the whole day for myself and don’t make plans with anyone else. I drive to the Messenger Coffee Co. near the Power & Light District, order an iced caramel latte and avocado toast and make my way up to the roof patio. Once I find a seat with a beautiful view, I read through a couple of chapters from the book, “You are a Bada**” by Jen Sincero. After sipping on my coffee and reading my book for 30 minutes, I walk to my car, drive to Pickleman’s to pick up a soup and salad and drive back to campus. I sit outside in the courtyard of my residence hall and enjoy my lunch while wrapped in a cozy blanket. I finish my meal, go up to my dorm and take a mid-afternoon nap. After two hours, I wake up to the wrinkles of my blankets pressed into my skin, knowing that I had a good nap. I scroll on TikTok for another hour and after realizing that I had been in bed for the past three hours, I get out of bed and take a walk outside before it gets dark. I get home from my walk and eat my leftovers from the Cheesecake Factory from Saturday while watching “Monster House.” I finish the weekend by taking a bath, changing into pajamas and going to bed by 10:00 p.m. 

After visualizing an aesthetic Friday, Saturday and Sunday, hopefully this type of weekend will be in my near future. My favorite season is fall and I look forward to it at the end of summer every single year. Romanticizing each season is a hobby of mine and I look forward to romanticizing winter within the next month.

Ciara is pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration with an emphasis of Marketing and will be graduating from UMKC in May 2024. She enjoys studying at coffee shops, shopping at antique stores, going on road trips, decorating, and personal growth.