Life > Academics

Mako Miller heads UMKC Professional Career Escalators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Mako Miller is currently the UMKC Professional Career Escalators Director, but before that she was a first generation student. Initially, she had a difficult experience navigating college, but that’s one reason why she’s so passionate about providing outreach to students needing extra support. Miller’s position as director has given her a chance to help incoming students better prepare for college.

Miller received her undergraduate degree from Kansas State University in journalism with an emphasis in print journalism and a minor in leadership studies. Because she was the first in her family to go to college, sometimes her peers seemed to have insider university knowledge that she didn’t relate to. 

“I didn’t understand the importance of internships and doing things outside of campus,” Miller said. “I was thinking, ‘Oh, if I have a college degree, it’ll be a lot easier to find a job when I graduate.’”

Although Miller eventually found a mentor figure, she didn’t always feel like she fit in. Even with a variety of different campus organizations, it could be overwhelming to sift through them all to find somewhere she felt comfortable. 

“For me personally, I’m biracial, and growing up I had a hard time with identity,” Miller said. “When I got to college, I realized there were a lot of mono-racial groups, but there were not any groups where I fit in. I felt like I wasn’t Black enough. I felt like I couldn’t go to the Asian American student organization because I didn’t look Asian enough.” 

Miller sees her job as understanding shifting demographics and creating a place for students where they can see themselves represented. Her experience has fostered her desire to reach out to students like her who may be struggling. 

The Professional Career Escalators program offers students a chance to participate in informational interviews, shadowing, resume development, mentorship and more. The ultimate goal is to prepare students for life after graduation, as well as supporting them through their college experience. The program is only for incoming students, but there are other resources for current undergraduates. 

“Programs like First Gen Roo are such a needed component at all institutions. I’m really grateful to see something like this and the community of support with faculty and staff. I’m really proud to be at an institution that has a program like that,” Miller said. 

She also believes that there should be more resources for students, particularly first generation students, before they even commit to a university. She had to figure out how to apply to universities, set up campus visits and fill out the FAFSA on her own. While her parents were proud of her, they didn’t know how to help her with the technical aspects. 

Miller wants to reassure students that if they’re feeling lost, they’re not the only ones. 

“If you are a student, I would suggest going to a staff member or a mentor and telling them that you don’t know if you’ve found your place,” she said. 

Through programs such as Professional Career Escalators, Miller hopes that students will be able to break generational cycles and succeed at UMKC. 

Lauren Textor is a junior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City who is studying English. She is one of UMKC's Campus Correspondents. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, painting, and sight-seeing at possibly haunted locations.