Listen to Queer Voices: 8 Podcasts with LGBTQ+ Hosts to Add to Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Anytime someone asks how to be a better ally to the LGBTQ+ community, my first recommendation is always to get your information directly from the source. Listening to and uplifting queer voices is one of the most effective ways to better understand how to support us.

Whether you find yourself eager to continue learning about LGBTQ+ history, interests and perspectives, or simply want to make queer liberation a priority on your commute to work, here are 8 podcasts to add to your radar.

1. For Fans of Storytelling Style Podcasts:

Hosted by talented entertainers with credits ranging from RuPaul’s Drag Race to Max to Broadway, Town Hall is an expertly curated masterpiece in black queer storytelling. Formatted like a digital town hall, callers discuss their anecdotal experiences without interruption on topics such as HIV/AIDS, drag history, and mental health. Featured guests provide poignant perspectives on how they’ve navigated their lived experiences as black queer individuals.

2. For True Crime and Comedy Fans:

True crime takes a twist in this true-con comedy series. Hosted by Laci Mosley, known primarily for her film and tv acting, Mosley brings her comedic expertise and affinity for scheming to a realm true crime rarely sees. Rather than focusing on the darker side of true crime, Scam Goddess focuses on historical con artists, educating listeners on scam prevention, and reading listener letters on those affected by or affiliated with the art of the scam.

3. For RuPaul’s Drag Race Enthusiasts:

If you love RuPaul’s Drag Race, this podcast is for you. If you know absolutely nothing about RuPaul’s Drag Race, this podcast is for you. Real life best friends and former contestants on RuPaul’s Drag Race, Bob and Monet discuss a wide array of topics from navigating life as Black nonbinary drag queens, politics, queer sex, polyamory and much more. As the title suggests, their friendship and podcasting style is far from courteous and amicable, but in no time I think you’ll find the amiable antagonism and tongue-in-cheek tension incredibly endearing.

4. For Pop Culture Aficionados:

Rule of Culture #473995: You have to check out this podcast. In each episode, Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang discuss icon moments in pop culture, ranging from the obscure to the pressing headlines. Join the comedic duo as they interview entertainers, journalists and other pop culture experts as they journey to find culture wherever they see fit.

5. To Stay Informed on Current Events:

An improv-adjacent, absurdist comedy podcast providing cynical yet critical political updates concerning gender and LGBTQ+ issues. Can you handle it? Each week, Bryan and Erin criticize and question damaging legislation regarding LGBTQ+ and gender inequality, provide clarity on confusing legal jargon and always commit to the bit. Grab a high-heel shoe chair, sit back, and try to relax while this dynamic duo chronicles some of the most unsettling truths about the current political landscape.

6. For Spooky Vibes only

With equal parts side-splitting comedy and supernatural curiosity, Roz takes her listeners on a wild ride each week as she discusses (human) listener letters about their own paranormal experiences. Not a fan of the occult? Stay for the iconic special guests Nicole Byer (Why Won’t You Date Me?, Best Friends) and Georgia Hardstark (My Favorite Murder). With unique perspectives on everything from trans life and the afterlife, this podcast is a must-listen.

7. For Self Help

Still unsure what gender even really is? That’s okay, this podcast doesn’t know either. By interviewing influential trans+ and nonbinary creatives and community workers, this podcast seeks to better understand the convoluted crisis that is trans rights in America. The podcast takes listener letters, analyzes current issues and seeks to better understand gender in society.

8. For LGBTQ+ History:

Were pirates gay? How did the Homophile movement begin? Wait, there probably should’ve been more out lesbians in the 1992 sports dramedy A League of Their Own? Find answers to all of these questions and more by tuning into History is Gay. Each episode focuses on a different aspect of queer history with a combination of guest interviews and individual storytelling. As the show’s tagline suggests, “History has never been as straight as you think.”

If you find yourself enjoying any of the podcasts on this list, be sure to rate and review them on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. 

The learning you do while listening to podcasts doesn’t have to stay in your Spotify Wrapped history. By listening intently and bringing what you learn to your daily life, you may just find yourself contributing to LGBTQ+ history yourself.

Kale Marie (she/her) is a third year undergraduate student studying sociology and theatre at UMKC. Outside of writing for HerCampus, she is the President of UMKC Trans+ and works in Academic Support and Mentoring. In her free time, you can find her touring local coffee shops, reading books about whatever she's currently passionate about, and directing/designing for local theatre companies.