Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

It’s Pumpkin Spice Season, Witches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

We have suffered through to suffocating humidity of summer and finally have entered the crisp, refreshing fall weather. Houses are being decorated with spooky decorations and carved jack-o-lanterns, Starbucks is rolling out the classic pumpkin spice lattes and Disney is playing the classic Halloween movies we all know and love. The festivities of fall are what we all anticipate approaching the colder months. That being said, being a college student typically requires diligence and being a broke college student definitely means budgeting your spending habits. Fortuneately for you witches who love autumn, that doesn’t have to mean limiting your opportunities to properly enjoy the fall season. 

Perhaps one of the more notable aspects of autumn, is the pumpkin spice latte. If you’re someone who loves a nice, warm PSL (or any other seasonal, warm beverages), a coffee date is a way for you to fill those cravings and also get some work done. Planning a day to meet up with friends at your local coffee spot or Starbucks might give you some incentive to study for exams or get some homework done. And for all that hard work, treat yourself with a delicious treat. 

PSL isn’t your thing? That’s okay. An autumn tradition is to visit your local pumpkin patch. Go out with a group of friends, take festive pictures, enjoy the autumn treats, browse the pumpkins, and then go to Walmart. Just wait— let me explain, while pumpkin patches literally exist for people to come buy pumpkins, they’re typically a bit more pricey. Supermarkets like Walmart usually offer a more affordable range of pumpkins for you to pick out. When it comes to carving pumpkins, instead of buying a booklet of templates, just print some out from Google for free. 

A very comprehensive way to knock numerous fall activities in one is to throw a party. I won’t bore you with DIY costume ideas, that’s what Pinterest is for. Inviting some friends over gives people an excuse to dress up at least a little. A way to make it a bit more affordable is to organize a pot-luck. Each person can contribute:  someone brings those yummy Pillsbury Halloween cookies, another can bring some hot cocoa and cider and someone else can bring Halloween candyA bonfire under the stars is always a good time: singing campfire songs, talking about our feelings, telling scary stories and of course, making s’mores. Once everyone is cozy inside, you can start your Halloween movie marathon. 

These cooler months, with a new wave of food, clothes and activities are meant to be lively and exciting.  Don’t let the responsibilities of school and the worry of overspending stop you from living your best autumn life (hot girl autumn anyone?). There are ample ways to use your money in modest ways, get in your standard amount of time to focus on school work and check off your fall bucket-list. 

Lily is currently in her fourth semester at UMKC's in their Masters in Counseling program. Whenever she can be with friends she is, when she's not she enjoys reading and doing yoga. Lily has a passion for human rights, mental health, pop-culture and writing.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.