This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In India, there is a big culture of using homeopathic medicines or natural medicines to cure illnesses. Many of these techniques have been passed down through the generations. My parents have taught me many of these natural medicines that I use frequently in my daily life! I have listed some of the remedies that work the best for me below!

Salt Water Gargling

I have been using this for as long as I can remember! I mostly use it if I ever feel a cold or a sore throat coming and it helps prevent or cure these things. Salt water can help kill the bacteria in the throat, loosen up mucus there and reduce inflammation. All of these help with sore and scratchy throats. I would also advise doing it with warm water which will help soothe your throat.

Directions : 

1. Take about ½ – 1 cup of water.
  2. Heat it up in the microwave for around 30 seconds. 
  3. Add a spoonful of salt depending on how much water you used.
  4. Mix it well until the salt is dissolved.
  5. Gargle the water.
Steaming with Vix

This is another technique that I use when I have a cold or congestion. Steaming helps with decreasing the mucus in your nose and throat area. It helps ease the irritation, soreness and inflammation in your throat. Vix Vaporub is a salve that you can add to the water that has similar effects as the water by helping soothe your nose and throat from a cold or cough. It also has many other benefits for other conditions. 

Directions : 

1. Fill a bowl with water. 
  2. Heat it up until you see it boiling (vapors coming out). 
  3. Add ½ teaspoon of Vix. 
  4. Place a towel over yourself, covering you and the bowl completely. 
  5. Breathe in the vapors from the bowl (DO NOT put your face in the water!).
Turmeric paste

Turmeric helps with acne and pimples. If you have the powdered version of turmeric, add a little water before applying it to the places on your face with acne. You can also buy the paste version that you don’t have to add water to and you can apply it directly. Turmeric has anti-microbial properties that help your pores. There are many ways you can use turmeric and many things that you can add to your paste/face mask. I use it at night and I only apply it to the places on my face that have pimples. I leave it on overnight and clean it off my face in the morning.

These are remedies that frequently work for me, but I would be sure to ask a doctor before you try any of them! All of these techniques have added benefits to help your overall health and wellness. These remedies have helped me a lot and I hope they help you too!

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!