This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Setting my Goodreads yearly reading challenge goal has become a yearly tradition for me. Each January, I aim to stick to a certain number of books. Last year I picked 22 for the year 2022. Having only read 16 books in 2021, this felt like a realistic goal, but around May I found that I had already moved beyond my expectation.  I changed the goal to 50, knowing it was crazy, and I ended the year with 55 books.  It was the most I have ever read in a year while exploring new genres and discovering some new favorites.

Track your progress

If you have never used Goodreads or a similar app, it’s super user-friendly. You can rate the books you read, leave reviews and track the specific days you start and finish books. Tracking my reading encourages me to keep going, and setting a specific goal gives a boost of determination. Although I read for fun and genuinely enjoy it, it can become monotonous at times. Through setting a goal, I can motivate myself to pick up books.

Drop books that aren’t working

My biggest piece of advice in reaching a reading goal is also probably my most controversial: Do not finish books that just aren’t working for you. Although some people say to stick it out (and sometimes that has worked out for me), I’ve usually found that if I don’t enjoy the first part of a book, I’m not going to like the rest. I’ve stuck with books that weren’t working for me and found myself in a reading slump, unmotivated to pick up any book at all. You can always come back to a book another time if it isn’t working for you in the present.

Read what appeals to you, not others

Don’t get discouraged, and don’t let other people’s opinions influence your reading habits. Although I enjoy  recommendations from TikTok (also referred to as BookTok), I have learned that everyone has different reading preferences. Read what you want to, explore the genres you want to and don’t be afraid to just walk the shelves of your local library and see what pops out to you. Just because a book isn’t super well known doesn’t mean it can’t be worth reading too.

Share your reading with anyone (or everyone!)

Share your reading with others and find a community  online, through a book club or by talking about books with your friends and family. I have found that when I can discuss my books with others, I feel more inclined to start another one in addition to connecting more with the writing. When trying to meet a goal, especially a big one, it’s important to not lose track of why you are reading in the first place. Slow down and enjoy the books, you’ll burn out if you’re always racing to the last page. 

Happy reading. Wish me luck as I attempt 65 books this year and remember to enjoy every part of your reading journey. With some dedication and organization, reading a large number of books doesn’t have to be a daunting task at all. 

Emma is majoring in English at the University of Missouri Kansas City. She plans on graduating Spring of 2024. In her free time she enjoys reading, baking, and thrifting for books.