This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Halloween is almost upon us and it’s crunch time to figure out what your friend group wants to be. It seems like there are always thousands of possibilities and the sheer amount of options creatively drains me. I always procrastinate, but writing this article is my way of brainstorming for you and me. So, here are a few ideas to get us through our creative slump:

Staples

These costumes are not unheard of, but where they lack creativity, they make up for in recognizability and reusability. Group ideas like Harry Potter characters or Greek goddesses are easy to assemble and you can bet that you’ll look great. Disney Villains or Princesses would also be perfect for those friend groups waiting for the new live-action  Little Mermaid movie. Fictional friend groups are practically endless from Scooby Doo or Winnie the Pooh to Bugs Bunny characters. I’m personally convincing my friends to dress up as Tinker Bell fairies because the slip-dress  with wings combo could never do any wrong.

Additionally, basics like angels, devils and ghosts never fall out of style. There’s no shame in pulling up as one of these classics. You can always elevate your looks with unique accessories that set your staple outfit apart from the rest.

Timely

These outfits are products of the zeitgeist and TikTok trends that are bound to earn you great conversation starters at Halloween parties. While everyone’s eagerly anticipating Netflix’s release of Queen Charlotte and season three of Bridgerton, there are plenty of characters to dress up as in the meantime. House of the Dragon has been all my friends talk about, so why not dress up as the cast? I know there were plenty of hardcore Eddie Munson fans blowing up on TikTok, so convince your friend group to pull out all their hair gel, crimpers and 80s wardrobe to transform into the Stranger Things cast. Alexa Demie’s siren eyes were all anyone on the internet could talk about for months and before that, Euphoria makeup was going viral, so dressing up as the cast would be perfect for any friend group that loves creative makeup. The final season of Attack on Titan came out this year, so it’s a group costume idea I could condone as long as you don’t spoil it for me.

Funny

Last but not least, if your friend group is full of class clowns who love to make people laugh, these ideas might be a good starting place. I love to see people dress up as Taco Bell hot sauces and it’s even better when they write out funny phrases across the front. Dressing up as Snapchat or TikTok filters could also be fun for any active users of the apps. This might seem like it belongs in the “Staples” category, but hear me out: the 7 dwarfs of Snow White. This could be a hilarious group idea, especially if the group matched them based on everyone’s personalities. If that’s not your style, what about dressing up as the Spice Girls? Yes, you heard that right. You could dress up as different spices and condiments as a fun twist of the girl group’s name. One of the funniest TikTok trends I saw this past year was when people had parties with dress codes to dress up as their type, and I think this would transition perfectly to Halloween as well.

Costume hunting might be stressful, but some of the most clever and timely outfits can take the least amount of work. Hopefully you found an idea that suits your friend group or a good place to start. Make this the year you don’t procrastinate on your costume and have a happy Halloween. .

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)