This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Dear Her Campus at UMKC, 

Hi. As I sit down to write my final article as a member of this incredible organization, I am overcome with emotions. Over the past semester, I have experienced too many “lasts” to count. My last sorority event, my last day as a nanny, my last homework assignment (okay, so they haven’t all been sad). I have always felt my emotions deeply, and let me just say, this is exhausting! 

With that being said, this final article is one of my last “lasts” for a while, and I am ready for a break from all of the endings. However, I’m not so sure that I’m ready for my time as a Her Campus writer to end. 

I originally joined Her Campus during the second semester of my sophomore year because I was stressed. You may be wondering why my solution to having too much on my plate was to add one more responsibility. Besides being a glutton for punishment, I had somehow managed to procure a leadership position in every other club in which I was involved. I was ready to just be a member of something. I wanted one extracurricular to serve its true purpose: to be an escape from the responsibilities and monotony of everyday life. 

I have loved writing for as long as I can remember. For about 5 years in my childhood, all I asked for on my birthday and Christmas were notebooks. Little did I know, there aren’t enough notebooks in the world to contain all of my thoughts, feelings and emotions (see above; I have a LOT of feelings). On top of that, my values align with the organization, and I had some friends who were already involved (shoutout to alumna Chloe Tremain). Her Campus at UMKC seemed like the perfect fit. 

The final sentence of that last paragraph turned out to be the understatement of the century. Thanks to this organization, I have fallen back in love with writing. Writing sparks joy in my heart, and I now know that I need to make writing a regular part of my life. Whether that be through my work, a personal blog or private journaling, writing and I are looking forward to a long, happy future together. 

I had a feeling that I would love to be able to write about whatever I wanted. Here’s what I wasn’t prepared for: I wasn’t prepared to meet so many talented, passionate and bright humans. My fellow members of Her Campus at UMKC are absolute world changers. I am constantly inspired by the articles they write, the events they plan and their unmatched social media skills. I have no doubt that each and every one of them is on their way to making all of their dreams come true. 

So, thank you, Her Campus at UMKC. Thank you for being the unexpected gem of my college experience. I cannot imagine the last 2.5 years of my life without this incredible outlet and these amazing people. I am forever changed by this organization and forever touched by its members. 

Thank you. Keep being fabulous. 

Love, 

Anna 

Anna is currently a senior at UMKC studying Health Sciences and Public Health, with a goal of working in the nonprofit world. Anna's passion is advocating for people living with chronic illnesses through her work with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. In her free time, Anna can be found obsessing over Panic! at the Disco and Queen while drinking coffee and watching romantic comedies or listening to podcasts.
Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.