This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Romance as a genre has long been used as a method of escapism. Romance novels, in particular, have catered to happy daydreams allowing readers to fall hopelessly and helplessly in love along with its characters. For all its popularity, however, romance novels have and continue to face heavy criticism. Issues with failing plot devices, weak descriptions or poorly researched backgrounds would be par for the course, yet these aren’t the types of critiques the genre often faces. Instead, romance is frequently disparaged for lacking quality and substance in comparison to its literary companions. Terms such as “trashy” and “unrealistic” are thrown around without even giving the genre a fair shake.

A good place to start unraveling this wildly misinformed take is to first understand what comprises the genre. Romance Writers of America define the genre with two key points: 1. a central love story and 2. an emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending. Readers often refer to that satisfying ending as HEA or HFN, or happily ever after or happy for now. 

Wanting a happily ever after has somehow become synonymous with the inability to differentiate reality and the imagined. Picking up a novel with a guaranteed HEA doesn’t limit a reader’s ability to appreciate the hard facts of life. Quite the contrary. In fact, romance novels have their fair share of hard topics and not every HEA or HFN is easily earned. Themes of violence, poverty and familial strife frequently grace the pages of some of the most beloved novels in the genre. Authors are unafraid to touch on deeper topics and their works still manage to hold on to the core values of what makes romance romance. The idea that romance novels are all fluff no substance is an argument that any active romance reader can quickly dispel. Even for works that are lighter, devoid of some of the darker themes mentioned, the stories are no less compelling. Sometimes all a person needs is a quick, happy read, and within romance, that isn’t a difficult ask. Whatever you need, romance is varied enough to get the job done. 

Non-fans might also be surprised to find that books in the genre are very self-aware. Sarah MacLean’s “Wicked and the Wallflower” has a line stating just this. After describing the female main character’s predicament, the male lead states, “That sounds like the plot to a ridiculous romantic novel.” It is made all the more entertaining to fans who know that the previously mentioned predicament is the plot to another novel by the author. Solid writing and humor can be found in abundance within romance. Writers and readers alike are more than capable of laughing at themselves from time to time.

Sub-genres that are otherwise popular on their own can also be found all over the romance scene. High fantasies involving mythical creatures or magic. Science fiction pieces that take place on other planets and utilize technology a person could only dream of. Historical romance books that inadvertently broaden our horizon with information on the peerage and the ton. Romance isn’t always as simple as two people meet, fall in love, the end. 

Finally, romance offers a place for female voices to convey female experiences. This isn’t to say that a spectrum of genders doesn’t also hold a place within romance. The genre continues to grow and include a more diverse experience. But one of the hallmarks of romance that appeals to so many is how relatable the books can be. Even with its lonely billionaires and ruthless mafiosos, the tropes in romance don’t overshadow the moments readers can connect with. Just like with any other genre, sloppy writing and lackluster storylines can be found, but it’s no more prevalent here than it would be in science fiction or women’s literature.

In the end, the thing to remember is that we’re all entitled to read what brings us joy. A favorite phrase of the romance novel world is “don’t yuck someone’s yum.” If romance is what you love, then enjoy it guilt-free. If it isn’t quite your cup of tea, give it a wide berth but allow your fellow readers their right to all the meet-cutes, cheesy one-liners and happily ever afters they could ever hope for.

Samiya is a medical student at UMKC. She loves exploring new coffee shops, trying out new beauty trends, and is a sucker for all things wellness!