This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

With the pandemic playing some sort of a cosmic Grinch, getting into the holiday spirit has never been harder. But don’t fret! Here are my best tips to get you in a festive mood:

Deck the Halls.

Staying holed up in the same dorm/apartment for months can make everything seem mundane, so add some lights and maybe a little Christmas tree (if you celebrate it). It seems obvious, but it’s easy to neglect decorating when party plans dwindle to a night in with your parents. Your surroundings can make a big impact on your state of mind, so try to make them as normal as possible for the holidays; it just might get your spirits up.

FaceTime your Friends.

Being alone during the holidays sucks… until you realize that you don’t have to be lonely. Thanks to communication channels like FaceTime, connecting with loved ones near and far has never been easier. Virtually opening gifts ,playing games or even just catching up are much needed ways to bring warmth to your holiday season.

Shuffle your Holiday Playlist.

If you don’t have Mariah Carey stuck in your head by the time winter break begins, I don’t know what to tell you. Music is a great way to get emotionally engaged in the holiday mood, so get your Spotify ready to play all the tunes that transport you to Jolly Central.

Watch the Classics.

The holidays cannot begin for my family until we’re wrapped under blankets in the living room, rewatching all the Harry Potter movies with mugs of hot chocolate. Whether your favorite holiday tradition is watching “The Grinch” or “Elf,” don’t make an exception for this Christmas. Maybe you can still watch it with your family and friends using Netflix Party or just through FaceTime.

Your holidays will be different, yes, but modifying your traditions might just bring some of that spark back. This season will make you appreciate family gatherings and holiday functions more in the future, but you don’t have to wait until then to have fun. Implement some of these tips and you just might save the holidays from the Grinch COVID-19!

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.