Kayla Bacon-Friends With Flowers
Kayla Bacon-Friends With Flowers
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

Diversity Requires Inclusion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In more recent years, institutions around the United States, such as colleges and workplaces, have been talking about the idea of diversity. But what is diversity exactly? According to Merriam Webster, diversity is “the condition of having or being composed of differing elements.” Many places have used this word as a talking point to prove that they will take anyone who is qualified to join their institution, but people of different backgrounds need more than just diversity; They need inclusion. 

You may be asking me, “Maddie, aren’t they the same thing?” I’m here to tell you that they are not. Merriam Webster states that inclusion is “the act or practice of including and accommodating people who have historically been excluded.” Just because an institution says they will accept more people from different backgrounds, does not mean that this institution has anything to offer them. People who have been historically oppressed in organizations might make a place look good on the outside, but in reality, marginalized people need to actually feel included. 

A lot of institutions may have hostile or uncomfortable environments because other people do not know how to include people of diverse backgrounds. Not everyone gets along, but no one should be excluded just because they have a different story than the majority. That’s why everyone needs to have diversity training that talks about people from all different backgrounds, and then everyone a part of the organization needs to actually incorporate inclusion by doing what their training says. In diversity and inclusion training, people learn that they have unconscious biases about certain groups of people. Everyone has unconscious biases, whether we want to admit it or not. However, once you learn how to not let those guide the way you act around people, you can make the next person feel better. Most people who have been historically excluded have already dealt with many uncomfortable situations, so it’s important to not treat them like they have been treated before in the past. 

Diversity is a beautiful thing. It brings together people of all different backgrounds, colors, sizes, religions, abilities, gender identities and sexual orientations. But people need to feel welcome. Organizations need to consciously find ways to make other people feel included. They can hold events that promote bonding between members, members of the institution can invite others to join and they can promote policies that will help people who have been oppressed feel included and welcome. This is the beauty of college. At universities, there are so many organizations that anyone can join. They hold events and have meetings and provide a welcoming, warm environment for all. 

While this is great, we shouldn’t just stop being inclusive after college. Institutions all around us need to start analyzing to see if they are actually doing anything to promote the inclusion of others. If you’re thinking of joining any kind of organization, ask the people in charge if they are working to ensure the well-being of individuals, and that they do not hire solely for the appearance of diversity. They may look nice on the outside, but do your research on what goes on inside the institution as well. Diversity is a wonderful thing, but for it to actually be effective, we need to include them in everything as well. 

Maddie Houx is a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City majoring in psychology and minoring in criminal justice. She is a second-year Her Campus member and is also a mentor on campus for students with disabilities. She is passionate about food, advocacy, and her favorite sports teams.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.