This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Benefits of having a “Younique” Room

Incorporating at least one decorated room in a home allows for the alleviation of stress in one’s environment and sets the mood for the whole house. Living in a space that is unique to you allows for a calmer manner, sleep, clearness of mind, and comfortability. It also serves as an economic advantage. Exhibiting modern and high-toned attributes in one’s home increases the home’s value among the housing market. 

Knowing Where to Start 

Starting the process of decorating a room will be done most efficiently if the space has been cleaned. Not only will having a clean environment make the designing process faster, but it will also relieve unnecessary stress. Concluding from these essential steps allows for the design process to be fun, relaxing and will ultimately reduce the pressure of completing a big project. An additional way to speed up the activity is to eliminate all distractions from the space. This ensures that nothing will pull your attention away from the end goal. 

After the room is completely clean, you as the designer can start to envision the end result. Designers should attempt to change up the scenery. The whole objective of redesigning is to start fresh, and if you use the same items, you will have the same theme. However, if you are reusing old materials, you should make piles for certain categories. Making piles will help the designer not have to repurchase something that they already have. An additional option would be to combine two things together and make something new. The theme of the room should be coming along at this point.

Designing Your Reality 

Pinterest and other media pages can be utilized to find inspiration for themes. The designer will need to have a set board primarily for this room to be organized. On this platform, they will need to keep an open mind. If they find something that remotely interests them, they should add it. The designer can always put a twist on something to make it more of their own personal style.  

Having an open mind allows for more creative freedom to make the best possible version of your project. Buying inexpensive materials enables you to buy more depending on individuals personal expenses. Local thrift stores or garage sales are prime areas to find goods and antiques. Designers should steer away from purchasing items that were not on their original list, as that may throw off the whole design or run  over budget. After everything is purchased, start designing the dream space.

Hello All! My name is Kyra Afolabi. I was born and raised in St. louis, MO, and moved to KC for school. I am a business administration major with an emphasis in management, with the hopes of eventually starting a company that focuses on advancing underprivileged youth. In my free time, I enjoy making different playlists mainly consisting of neo-soul and r&b music!