The Best Places to Study On and Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If COVID-19 has taught me anything, it’s how important it is to get out of the house. I used to do my best studying at home, but now I can’t seem to get anything done. There are too many distractions whether it’s my phone, my roommates or the temptation to do pretty much anything else. I’ve grown to appreciate all of the unique places to study that our campus offers and how many amazing coffee shops we have in Kansas City. If you’re itching to get out of the house, try studying at these places instead. 

On-Campus 

The rooftop of the Student Union: The rooftop of the Student Union arguably has one of the best views on campus. It’s the perfect place to enjoy the fresh air and do some homework. It also happens to be one of the few places on campus where you can study outside and have WIFI connection. It’s not the quietest place to study, so make sure to bring your headphones. 

The Quad: Want a quieter place to study outside? Grab a blanket and head to the quad. COVID-19 has made it harder to get the full college experience, so spending some time where I used to always be has been comforting. Unless you have a hotspot, you won’t be able to use your laptop. I go to the quad when I want to unplug and do some reading. 

Royall Hall and the Student Union Computer Labs: The computer lab is my go-to when I need to print reading assignments and need a quiet space to do homework. Similarly to the fourth floor of the library, the computer lab is a quiet spot for deep studying. Stop by Einstien’s or Jazzman’s for a cup of coffee and get studying! 

Off-Campus 

Mother Earth Coffee: I always get my best studying done here and it happens to be one of my favorite places to get a latte. I recommend trying their seasonal latte. There’s plenty of access to outlets and it’s usually pretty quiet, so you won’t get distracted. 

Monarch Coffee: I love to do homework here. It’s not too far away from campus and it has a great atmosphere. If you haven’t studied here before, give it a try. 

The Nelson-Atkins Museum: Turn a regular study sesh into a picnic! Bring a blanket, some snacks and your headphones. The Nelson has been one of my favorite places to social distance outside of the house. Don’t forget to take a study break and go for a walk.

Because we’re still in the midst of a pandemic, remember to take precautions to keep yourself and everyone else safe. Wipe down your study space when you’re finished, wear your mask and social distance. We all need to leave the house once in a while, so don’t feel guilty when you need a new study space. Happy studying!