This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I have always been hesitant to take on leadership roles or any role that requires a large amount of responsibility. Roles in which I am in charge and in which the success of a company or organization is reliant on how I perform in said role stress me out. I can even recount a time this month that I was recruited for a leadership position in a campus organization and was initially excited, then extremely hesitant to say enthusiastically, “Yes!”

I replied in an uncertain tone that I was very interested, yet nervous that I wouldn’t be able to handle it. Why do I do this? Why do we struggle so much to believe in ourselves when we would not have been offered the position or job in the first place if we weren’t fully qualified? I’m sure I am not the only one who struggles to confidently take on leadership positions and big roles, but I want to be the one to break us all of that cycle. Besides, if you’re like me, you always end up handling the position just fine. Hell, you probably excel in it.

If we carry on into our adulthood doubting ourselves and our abilities to succeed, we are going to make our own lives much more difficult than they need to be. As I said before, nobody is going to offer you a position that they don’t think you can handle. And if it’s you applying for a job or spot on a team, it’s even more important that you be your number one fan rather than your biggest critic. 

Personally, I’ve found that expressing my concerns to those around me, be it a friend or colleague (I’ve even expressed my fears directly to the people offering me certain jobs and roles before), helps to calm my nerves and restore some of that lost confidence. Nine times out of 10, I get a response along the lines of, “You’ve got this. I believe in you.” Hearing this from someone who isn’t myself always seems to make me feel better. But how can we be this person for ourselves from time to time?

When you are given opportunities and offers, listen to that initial voice in your head that says, “Yes! All of my hard work has finally paid off. I deserve this.” Even if you get a wave of doubt a few moments later that counters that initial excitement, take the first reaction and run with it. You don’t need that second voice to ruin this for you. 

Next, think realistically. Do you have the time in your schedule to take on this role? Are you in the right place mentally and emotionally to take on this role? These questions are different from, “Am I really deserving of this?” You do deserve it. I’m asking you to consider the logistics, not to question your worth.

Finally, if step two goes accordingly, say yes. Accept the offer. Believe in your ability to conquer this new journey with confidence and grace. You were meant to do this job, lead this organization or act in this role. And you are going to crush it. There’s no need to listen to that doubtful voice that makes you question everything because you are more than capable of success in this newfound responsibility.

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.