This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Living on campus can be really hard, especially if it’s your first time living away from home. I know that when I first started living in the dorms, there were so many things I didn’t know or think that I would need.. Now, I’m here to let you know about all of the seemingly miniscule things you need in your dorm room to survive.

Ice Tray

I know it may not seem like a big deal at all, but with the tiny fridges our rooms are equipped with, it’s difficult to keep your drinks cool. This is where having an ice tray comes in handy! I would recommend getting a small one that doesn’t take up too much space in your freezer or one that can even fit in the door.

Calendar

If you’re like me, your parents bought you a calendar even though you didn’t want one, so you purposely left it at home. Make sure to have one in your dorm. I  know it can seem unnecessary since you have a calendar in your phone, but it has its benefits. Writing things out can help you remember important dates and reminders, and you can even choose to make it a communal calendar for you and your roommate!

Blankets/Fan

Depending on how you like the temperature of your room, you should probably bring something to accommodate. I generally like warmer rooms so I, of course, brought some extra blankets. However, I did bring a fan in case it got too hot for me. I haven’t used my fan as much as my blankets, but it’s come in handy.

Water Filter Jug

Water in the dorms can sometimes be iffy in terms of quality or taste, so I’d recommend bringing a water filter jug. This also allows you to  fill up from anywhere, even your bathroom tap. I, personally, would get annoyed with how far I’d have to walk to get water from the water fountain (it wasn’t very far, I’m just lazy).

Drain Cover

This is probably one of the most overlooked essentials that you’ll need for your bathroom, but I can’t emphasize how important it is.  One of my suitemates brought one my freshman year, so I never thought twice about it. But going into my sophomore year, no one had thought to buy one and the amount of hair that got stuck in our drain was disgusting. I eventually went out and bought one. It’s an investment you want to make, trust me.

I hope that this list helps you out. There are definitely way more things that you’ll need for your dorm room (and bathroom) so please make sure to get more than what was listed here. I’m excited for you, though! The  first year living on campus and away from home can be frightening, but make the most of it. I hope you have a great semester!

Mahreen is currently a senior studying Political Science, International Relations and Pre Law. In her free time she enjoys reading books about politics and watching foreign films. She is passionate about helping people, social justice and self care.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.