5 Competition Reality Shows to Binge Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Winter break is coming, so it’s time to relax and take a well-deserved break from classes. The best way to unwind in my opinion: competition reality shows. From Big Brother to Chopped, reality TV has captivated audiences for years. But, what if all that drama stresses you out? Well, the good news is there are still plenty of options that are far more relaxing, much like The Great British Baking Show. So here are five creative reality competition shows that are perfect for binging over the holidays.

skin wars

This is the creative reality competition show that got me into this genre of TV. Skin Wars follows several talented body painting artists as they compete in challenges for prizes. Body painting (if you’ve never heard of it), is an art form where painters turn people into their canvas to create completely new creatures, people, or beautiful images. I had no idea it was such a prominent style of artwork and was blown away by the stunning works that were made on the show and the skill of each competitor. All of the competitors are loveable, amazing artists and make the show fascinating to watch. Not to mention one of the judges is none other than RuPaul Charles himself. Stream all three seasons of Skin Wars for free on Pluto.

glow up

Glow Up might just be my favorite pick on this list. Talented makeup artists looking to make it big compete for an ultimate grand prize and to become the next makeup star. Glow Up is the feel-good reality competition show of the decade. I fell in love with every one of the artists and even shed a few tears because I was so happy to see them succeed. The makeup looks they create are also beautiful and inspiring. Watch all four seasons of Glow Up on Netflix.

next in fashion

Also, a great feel-good choice, Next in Fashion is hosted by fashion icon and Queer Eye star Tan France and British fashion designer Alexa Chung. Up-and-coming fashion designers compete for fame and a grand prize with fresh, unique, red-carpet-ready outfits. From streetwear to military-inspired looks, the designers have many opportunities to showcase their talents in many different areas. Next in Fashion is light-hearted and fun—a real must if you love a good outfit. Watch season one of Next in Fashion on Netflix. 

Blown away

Blown Away is by far the most unique show on this list. Professional glass-blowers compete throughout the season in challenges to create breathtaking pieces of glass art. If you have ever wondered how intricate glass vases, statues and cups are made, this is the show for you. It’s fascinating to watch the competitors blow and shape the glass. Every piece made is gorgeous and you will be left gaping at the end of every episode by their craftsmanship. Watch all three seasons of Blown Away on Netflix.

Zumbo’s just desserts

Don’t watch Zumbo’s Just Desserts on an empty stomach. It is filled with yummy creations that will make your mouth water. Contestants compete in quirky challenges for a big cash prize judged by renowned pastry chefs Adriano Zumbo and Rachel Khoo. Zumbo’s Just Desserts takes pastry making to the next level, combining baking and engineering. This show will have your eyes glued to the screen, and before you know it, you will have binged both seasons. Watch all two seasons of Zumbo’s Just Desserts on Netflix.

Whether you love reality TV drama or hate it, I can guarantee all of these shows have something to offer you. When I was watching them, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. This semester has been pretty stressful for us all, so don’t hesitate to take a break by bingeing them over break.

Rian Snead (they/them) is currently a student at the University of Missouri – Kansas City majoring in health sciences and pursuing a minor in race, ethnic and gender studies. They were born in KC and grew up in Liberty, Missouri. In addition to writing imaginative stories, they love to write about history, health care and LGBT+ topics.