4 Of My Favorite Subscription Boxes That Are Under $15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In recent years, the subscription box industry has boomed. With COVID-19 often making it unsafe to shop in public, they are a great alternative to online and in-person shopping. I myself am a subscriber to 3 different boxes, and they are definitely worth it to me. I really love subscription boxes because they are a purchase that will continuously surprise you. You never really know what you are going to receive, and it is so fun to unbox after it arrives on your doorstep. Although they can sometimes be expensive, you can easily find a subscription box in your budget for practically anything. With that being said, here are four of my recommendations of subscription boxes that won’t break the bank.

Succulents Box

If you know me, then you know that I am obsessed with plants. I am not a current subscriber to this box, but I am seriously considering signing up. For their lowest plan at $5.50, subscribers receive a two inch succulent in a small terracotta pot. From there, you can add up to three more air plants or succulents for an additional cost. Also, keep in mind that shipping is around $5 each month. When it comes to plant subscription boxes though, this is a great price for my fellow plant lovers. 

Book of the Month

Calling all readers! For just $15 a box including shipping, this service is perfect for avid readers, or anyone trying to get out of a reading slump. The company also has a fascinating history dating all the way back to 1926, and claims to be the first book subscription service ever. Every month, the company chooses five best-selling books, and you can either pick from them, surprise yourself or skip the month. I took a look at the book choices for April, and each of them looks amazing. Also, the box has thousands of five-star reviews. Considering a hardcover best-seller in Barnes & Noble will cost upwards of $20, Book of the Month is a great deal.

Billie

If you are wanting to lead a more sustainable life, then Billie is a great way to start! First, you purchase the razor starter kit for $10, which includes a reusable razor (you get to choose out of 6 colors), 2 blades and a wall accessory to hang it in your shower. Then, you order $9 refills of 4 blades whenever you need them. This subscription is great because it has flexible shipping plans, and other sustainable shower products available on the website at a relatively low cost. I actually just signed up for this service, and I am excited to switch it out for the drug store razors that I normally purchase.

Ear Fleek

This subscription service is a wonderful way to update your jewelry game. For just $3.50 a month, you will be sent a surprise pair of earrings from one of three categories: Silly + Fun, Minimalist but Groovy, and Boho Babe. Or, you can choose to not pick an option, and be surprised every month. When I subscribed, I chose random, and I loved the mystery leading up to opening my monthly order. Also, this service allows you to swipe left and right on hypothetical pairs, so that they can understand your style a bit. As if that wasn’t enough, subscribers get insane discounts on older pairs from the previous months. Because of this option, I have Earfleek to thank for the bulk of my earring collection. For the price, I have nothing but good things to say about this subscription service, and I encourage everyone to give it a try!

The shopaholic in me loves subscription boxes because I really enjoy the surprise of getting something new delivered to me every month. Hopefully, this list gave you a few recommendations for subscription boxes to try for yourself. However, there are thousands of other options out there, so you should definitely explore the web for yourself! Happy shopping!

Abigail Weiler (She/Her) is currently a Freshman at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where she is majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies and French. In her free time, she loves traveling, watching movies, running, keeping up with politics, and spending time with her dog named Heidi. She can almost always be found watching Parks and Rec, listening to Stevie Nicks or Carole King on repeat, working on her handmade earrings business, or encouraging people to vote.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.