Style

10 Staple Fall Fashion Items You Need In Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Fall is among us as the taste of PSLs and caramel apples linger in our mouths, the beautiful autumn leaves hit the ground, and football season gears into full swing. However, it’s not too late to get the style essentials of the season. I’ve put together a quick guide of everything you’ll need to be on trend for fall fashion in 2018! As a disclaimer, I am not a fashion icon or a style mogul. I actually wear leggings and comfortable clothes to class every day, so you will not catch me looking like I came off the runway… ever. Occasionally, I do try, and I think I’m decent so allow me to channel my inner Stacy London and present to you my fall fashion guide!

1. Chunky Knit V-Neck Sweaters or Cardigans

It’s not fall without sweaters and cardigans! Personally, I prefer chunky knit or fine knit because of the look. Buyer beware – although chunky knit items may look thicker and warmer, looks can be deceiving as sometimes there are more holes between the stitches so you’ll be colder than if you wore a thin fine-knit sweater, but you’ll look cuter girl!

2. Suede Single Breasted Skirt

Single breasted, buttons down the midline, suede to the touch, and just short enough to be edgy – this skirt screams sophisticated and it’s the one thing you want to have this season. This is one of my favorites, but I’m biased because I really like skirts. I’ve seen these at every store, so clearly it is something everyone needs to buy.

3. Camel Colored Coat

Camel is the classic fall color. When people bring this out, you know it’s fall. There are some who believe that camel can only look good with certain skin tones, but I think anyone can rock a camel coat as long as it’s also worn with confidence!

4. Ankle boots

If you are lazy and/or tall like me,  zipping up tall boots every day can be annoying. So, let me present you an easier alternative – ankle boots!I personally like the look of rolling your jeans slightly above your ankle boots, as it definitely makes your outfit look more stylish.

5. Olive Green Trench Coat

When one thinks of classic fall colors, olive green, mustard yellow, wine red, and cognac are some colors that immediately pop up in one’s head. A coat in any of these colors would be nice to have, but if you have to pick one I would choose the olive green! The trench coat gives a hint of androgynous fashion depending on how structured your coat is. One normally styles a trench coat with a white striped shirt, jeans, and tall riding boots but feel free to style it according to your comfort level.

6. Faux Leather Moto Jacket

The leather jacket is a classic because it’s thick and gives you an added layer of protection against the chilly fall weather. It is also versatile because you can use it to dress up an athleisure outfit or dress down a professional outfit. Once you buy a leather jacket, you will find that you are always wearing it and that’s great because it can be paired with anything!

7. Cropped Turtleneck Sweater

To be completely honest, a cropped sweater actually defeats the purpose of a sweater. However, these are really cute and can even be flattering if it is paired with high-waisted jeans. Also, if you think about it, the turtleneck cancels out the fact that it’s cropped, so it’s still a win-win!

8. High-waisted Denim

You can never go wrong with a pair of high-waisted denim jeans. Please invest in a solid pair of high waisted jeans if you haven’t already because they literally go with EVERYTHING. Plus they are great to use if you want to keep wearing all your summer crop tops!

9. Minimalistic Gold Necklace

This isn’t necessarily a fall trend, but goes well with a lot of fall outfits. It is a cute and easy way to compliment an outfit. You can layer different kinds of necklaces – some examples are necklaces with your initial, your name, a moon, or a cross. I feel like this look is the most complete with two to three necklaces, but you can always feel free to add more according to your style.

10. 80s Revival – Animal Print

If you’re a bold fashion icon, you may be daring enough to hop on this trend. Animal prints are back – cheetah, zebra, leopard, giraffe, snake. They were on a lot of runways at NYFW, and soon you’ll see them in the streets. Even if you haven’t, don’t be afraid to be the one who starts the trend among your friends!

These are the biggest fall fashion essentials that you need to get your hands on! As you can tell, there are always a few trusted favorites you can always count on to stay relevant like ankle boots and knit cardigan. A little trend refresher like animal print or cropped sweater never hurt either. Hopefully, fall fashion adds to your excitement about the cooler temperatures. I personally hate being cold but always look forward to feeling cozy around this time of the year!

Angela is a beauty and health blogger, who studied Biology and Chemistry at UMKC. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is an avid foodie and lover of reality TV. She is a native to the South, but now she’s a Midwestern girl with big dreams. She is studying to become a physician and loves all things related to fitness, food, and fashion. Writing has always been a stress outlet for her, and through HerCampus she hopes to create engaging and inspiring content for all readers!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.