Becca Weisz ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

You have may have seen her advertisements in the halls of your dorm, in the bathrooms of Angell Hall, or staring at you right in the face at Dennison. Funky and fearless freshman, Becca Weisz, is bringing the glamorous and glitzy style of New Jersey to Ann Arbor, Michigan with her fresh accessory line, Sugar & Speisz Accessories. With new handmade products coming straight out of her Markley dormroom, Becca explains to us how she started her brand new line, why she hopes to help Speisz up everyones wardrobe with her personalized conversation-starter jewelry, clothing, shoes, and accessories, and what the future may hold for Sugar & Speisz Accessories.

Q1: Tell us where your inspiration for Sugar & Speisz Accessories comes from.

“I’ve always been a creative person for a cause. At age 12, I spent my time knitting blankets for Project Linus, an organization who provides blankets to children at orphanages. At age 15, I spent hours on my driveway during the New Jersey winter spray-painting t-shirts that I sold to some friends. By age 16, I started my own charity called Sweet Charity for which I baked cookies everyday after school and sold them to my peers the following day. And finally, at 18, I am growing my own accessory business called Sugar and Speisz from the cramped quarters of my Markley dorm room.

I have quite the pattern of getting hyper-involved in some type of project with the hope of gaining some sort of a profit, be it for myself or for a charity. My ideas always tend to be a few steps ahead of my ability to actually make them so everything involving Sugar and Speisz has happened very FAST, but I really wouldn’t have done it any other way. That’s just how I operate.”

Q2: What kind of girl does Sugar and Speisz aim to serve and what products could you offer her?

“When I first had the Sugar & Speisz girl in mind, I thought of girls with a similar style to my own. I’m the type of person who likes pushing the envelope (with anything, not just with fashion) in order to get some sort of reaction, so I wanted to start by making accessories that would do just that. These pieces would stand out for their uniqueness while making people take a closer look.

Although girls with bold personalities were the girls who I envisioned making Sugar and Speisz a success, I’ve come to see that girls with all personalities and styles have found pieces that they pair with outfits in their own way to make it flashy, funky, and very pretty.”

Q3:  What are some fashion tips and easy tricks our readers can apply to their everyday clothing and accessories to Speisz things up?

“I’m all about sparkle and standing out. Make people look twice by adding some sort of statement piece to your outfit. I’m from Jersey where the gaudier your accessories are, the better, but you don’t have to go to quite this extreme to look glamorous and girly. It can be a big hair-bow, a unique bag, or a pair of sparkling pumps. I’m really not great at giving fashion tips, but I do know that anyone can look amazing in anything if they just wear it with confidence.”

Q4: Its obviously a little scary, especially as a freshman, to put yourself out there. Yet you took the initiative and have been steadily gaining popularity. Any advice for any other new entrepreneurs on campus?

“Honestly, just go out and do it! I’m no stranger to a shaky self-confidence, but at a school like [the University of] Michigan where the student body is so supportive, it’s very easy to get started. If you are even considering starting your own venture, I really just recommend going for it. What’s the worst that could happen? Someone not liking it? Who cares! There’s 40,00 other people that might love it. Be proud of what you produce and if you think it’s great, I can promise you someone else will!”

Q5: You’re just starting Sugar and Speisz, but what do you see in the future of your venture? Do you plan to make it your career or just a hobby?

“I change my interests and hobbies faster than someone can fail an Orgo test, but what I love about Sugar and Speisz is that it allows me to showcase a variety of my creative endeavors. In other words, a month ago I felt like making bows and headbands, three weeks ago all I wanted to do was decorate shoes, and right now I’m compelled to make bracelets and jewelry, and I can sell all of these things under the Sugar and Speisz name. Do I think I’ll turn S&S into my livelihood? I really can’t say. Would it be awesome if S&S took off? Oh my god, absolutely! But for now, I’m happy just engaging in a fun hobby while gaining some knowledge and experience about starting my own business.”

If you mention “HerCampus Umich Campus Celeb”article to Becca Weisz on her “Sugar & Speisz Accessories, Etc.”Facebook Page, you will receive 10% off your one of a kind piece personalized by Becca herself! 

A headband and hairbow from the Sugar & Speisz Accessories, Etc. line can be glitzed, glammed, and personalized for any sorority or student organization! 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.