Why You Need That Software Update: iPhone User Exclusive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

So of course I was dreading installing the latest software update. Since the reminders wouldn’t let me off the hook, I figured I’d let it update during my morning email review routine. You know, the time of the morning that you use to catch up on all your emails, delete the spam and send out those reminders or in my case applications for summer jobs!

Perfect timing. This way my phone wouldn’t distract me from sending something before proofreading or spellchecking (never let this be you).

After the update finally finished – and my email was clear for a very short 5 minutes – I looked at the “improvements” which didn’t seem like much. And I went on about my day.

Later that evening, as I’m preparing for bed and getting organized for the next day I realize that this update was the greatest yet! The lights are off and I’m climbing into bed getting ready to set my alarm. As I go to pull up the alarm clock setting (you know the pull up strategy where you can turn on Do Not Disturb, adjust the brightness, airplane mode yada yada), there’s this unfamiliar icon between the clock and the calculator.

Out of curiosity I press the button and a pop-up comes to display “Night Shift Setting”. It asks when I would like the setting to end; I say 7 am is good. After the pop-up disappears, something magical happened!!

The color temperature changed. Everything turned to a warmer tone that was softer and easier to look at. My eyes instantly felt less stressed while looking at the screen in completely darkness. It was the most amazing feeling.

The moral of this story is, update your iPhone so you can enjoy late-night creeping on Instagram from your bed, in the dark without hurting your eyeballs! Thank me later.

My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker. 
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."