Career

What I Learned from UK’s Annual Journalism Symposium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo By Philip Strong 

On Thursday, Jan. 25, current journalism students, faculty and seven successful UK journalism alumni filed into the William T. Young Library auditorium for UK’s annual Richard G. Wilson Alumni Symposium.

The symposium panel featured six journalists:

Lindsey Piercy (WLEX-TV, LEX18)

Kyle Piercy (Director of Athletic Communication and Digital Media at Centre College)

Bryan Kennedy (WTVQ-ABC 36)

Mark Vanderhoff (WLKY-32 News)

Courtney Francisco (WCCB News-Charlotte)

Isabel Rosales (WFTS-TV)

Associate Attorney at Hance & Srinivansen PLLC, Nick Craddock, served as the moderator for the symposium. He was also a UK journalism school graduate.

I was really unsure about what to expect when walking into the library auditorium. Were these six broadcast journalists really going to have good advice for me? Were they going to be relatable? Were they just coming back to speak so they could brag on themselves and somewhat discourage us by saying, “the road to becoming a successful journalist is extremely difficult.”

I was wrong in every way possible. The individuals on this panel were some of the most inspiring, kind and relatable people I have heard speak.

Of course each one of them did tell us about the hardships they had to go through to get where they are today. All successful people have rough patches throughout their lives. But none of them said it in a way that was discouraging, not even the slightest bit.

After the symposium concluded and I walked out of that building, I felt as though I had won a million dollars. Not because I realized that I was going to be rich one day from being a journalist (because I am totally not), but because there was no doubt in my mind that this career path was meant for me.

The following night, I was sent by the newspaper I currently work for to cover a high school basketball game. I just so happened to turn around and see Bryan Kennedy, the sports journalist who spoke at the symposium the previous night.

I was at the right place at the right time. He gave me a piece of advice that I will keep with me for as long as I live.

“Stick to it no matter what happens along the way.” And that is exactly what I plan to do to make it in this industry.

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.