We Aren’t There Yet and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo from movietvtechgeeks.com

On the night of October 4 females everywhere took a major step back in their long journey towards equality in the field of sports journalism.

Well-known NFL quarterback Cam Newtown, who is currently the starting quarterback for the Carolina Panthers, made a very degrading comment to female sports journalist during a Panthers’ press conference.

Jourdan Rodrigue is a female NFL beat writer for the “Charlotte Observer” and was in attendance at the Panthers’ press conference. Right before Newton’s comment was made to Rodrigue, Newton was talking about Panthers’ wide receiver Devin Funchess.

Rodrigue then asked Newton, “I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him truck-sticking people?”

Newton then made a comment that shocked not only Rodrigue, but the nation.

“It’s funny to hear a female talk routes like that,” Newton said. “It’s funny.”

No laughs came from anyone else that was present in the room, just from Newton.

Rodrigue then took to Twitter after the press conference had concluded and she sent out a tweet that said, “I don’t think it’s “funny” to be a female and talk about routes. I think it’s my job.”

Rodrigue went and spoke to Newton privately after the press conference, but the Panthers’ quarterback did not apologize to her. In fact he did not apologize until two days later, after he lost his endorsement deal with Dannon.

Being a female in the world of sports journalism is hard. Female writers and reporters face discrimination from a lot of people every single day. It is hard enough to deal with the public saying harsh and untrue things about them, but now one of the biggest NFL athletes is participating in the scrutiny of female reporters as well.

Luckily for Newton this only ignited a fire within all female sports journalists across the country and around the world. It is clear that we are not there yet ladies, but we will get there. Let us get to work.

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.