This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Ever since the pandemic, the possibility of being sick with anything but Covid was forgotten. Now that we’re almost two years into the pandemic, it can be hard to remember what to do when you just have a simple cold. 

I would suggest going to urgent care to determine whether or not you have a virus or an infection. If you have strep or a sinus infection, going to urgent care or your primary practitioner and getting antibiotics could really help. Taking a long hot shower is also beneficial. The steam can help to relieve any pressure in your head, and it feels super relaxing.

Make sure to also get a good night’s sleep. It might be harder to fall asleep if you’re sick, so try going to bed a little earlier than normal. Eat fruits and vegetables, as well as soup. It is important to stock up on tissues! You forget how many you use when you’re sick.

The most crucial step to take when you’re sick is being sanitary. It is easy to forget this when you’re already sick, but keep being clean and washing your hands. You don’t want to get worse, and you don’t want to spread your sickness to other people. 

When you’re finally all better, I would suggest washing all your sheets, getting a new toothbrush, and deep cleaning your place. It will feel great, and will also help prevent you from getting sick again.

Being sick is also a great reminder to be grateful for your health!

Hi, my name is Kalista Smiley. I'm currently a sophomore at the University of Kentucky majoring in digital media and design. My hobbies include hanging out with friends and family and doing any type of art project. I also really enjoy being active through hiking or working out. I currently live on campus, and I want to make my college years memorable!