wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

My Long Distance Relationship Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

The term “long distance relationship” tends to have a negative connotation whenever people bring it up in conversation. I have had a lot of personal experience with this, because I have to describe my romantic relationship as long distance.

I have been in a long distance relationship now for about 3 ½  years with my boyfriend. We both go to different colleges in different cities. Granted, the cities are only an hour and a half apart, but we have to go a few weeks at a time without seeing one another since we both have jobs, class work and other obligations.

Whenever I tell someone I do long distance, they tend to change the tone of their voice and start to sound apologetic towards me in an almost feeling-sorry-for-me manner. But do not get me wrong, there have been plenty of times when I have felt sorry for myself because I cannot just see my boyfriend whenever I want.

However, throughout these past few years, I have realized that long distance has ultimately made my relationship stronger than ever. I feel like my boyfriend and I will be able to overcome any challenges that we are faced with in the future.

Being in a long distance relationship has given me a greater appreciation for my boyfriend and the time that we spend together. I am able to cherish every moment I get to spend with him and I do not take anything for granted since we have to go long periods without seeing each other.

We have also been able to build so must trust for each other and trust is one of the most important things we have. We have had to build up so must trust that daily phone calls, text messages, video chats and once-a-month visits will be enough to hold our relationship together and not lead either of us to give up. And I think that was the ultimate test of our relationship, never giving up on each other and knowing our love was strong enough to withstand time.

From long distance, we learned to never give up and to put 100 percent of our faith, heart and soul into loving and trusting each other.

If I could go back in time and change our relationship, I would not, because even though long distance has not been the most fun to do for so long, our relationship would not have as much strength and love as it does today.

Thankfully, after I graduate from college we will not have to do long distance anymore, but having that foundation of a strong relationship from doing long distance for so long will make that time all the more special.

I am grateful for my long distance relationship experience, because it has taught me so much about myself, my partner and our relationship. I think if any couple has to face long distance, they should do it with a positive mindset and know that both people will come out stronger than ever!

Body photo by Sydney Sparks

As junior at the University of Kentucky, I study Integrated Strategic Communication with a focus in Public Relations. I aspire to be a public relations professional for a healthcare facility that works to positively impact the lives of children, families and the community. My experience as a PR/Marketing intern at the UK International Center has helped me to gain valuable skills in creating promotional digital and print materials for an organization as well communicating to an organization's target audiences. My position as a Resident Advisor as also allowed me to grow my event planning, public communication and creative marketing skills. My top strengths include achiever, developer, futuristic, responsibility and learner.