Movie Review for Horror Lovers, The Strangers: Prey at Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Connor Limbocker

Horror movie connoisseurs unite, because a second Strangers movie was released Friday.

Mike and Cindy, parents of two teenagers, take their family on a vacation to a remote mobile home park on a lake before their daughter is sent to boarding school.

This little getaway is meant to bring the family closer before their daughters’ departure – and you could say it did just that, but not in the way they anticipated. Three masked sociopaths haunt their every move, and the family must find a way to escape before they fall victim to the games the sociopaths know so well.

This movie is predictable – a family fighting for their lives from masked killers, similar to the first Strangers movie.

Though a predictable plot, The Strangers: Prey at Night is exciting, alarming and will keep you on edge with fear of what will happen next.

For those who dig a good scare – that enjoy sitting with their hands halfway shielding their eyes waiting for the next jump-scene – this movie is perfect for you. Twists and turns throughout will have you questioning if the movie is over.

And, of course, the ending is something you will not predict. Just when you think it is over… Is it ever, really?

On a scale of one to five, I would rate this movie a 3.9/5. A must-see for those who enjoy a good, clean scare, but for horror enthusiasts who can easily guess a plot or when the next jump-scare will happen, this one is a little weak for you.

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.