I Watched a “Kids” Movie and Here is What I Learned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Do you ever just want to go back to the days when you were a child? The days where your biggest problems were, “What games am I going to play today?” or “I hope *insert childhood friend here* come out to play today.”

Sadly, those days are gone. The days when our imaginations had no boundaries. The days where being carefree and happy is all that made up our days.

“The Little Prince” reminded me of these days.

‘‘The Little Prince” is a French novel that was originally published about 75 years ago but was adapted into a movie in 2015.

According to IMDb, “A little girl lives in a very grown-up world with her mother, who tries to prepare her for it. Her neighbor, the Aviator, introduces the girl to an extraordinary world where anything is possible, the world of the Little Prince.”

However, this does not begin to describe what “The Little Prince” has to offer.

It is a beautiful, yet sad, representation of the world in which we live and it examines the value we put on the wrong things in life. Without going into much detail, this is a movie/book that is going to make you reflect on your life. The decisions you are making, and have made, the path you have chosen and just pretty much everything about your life.

I learned that life is short, and the decisions we make or how we choose to live our lives should not be determined by what others think but by what we want from our own lives. I learned that we only have one life and the best way to live it is how we want to because we do not want to wake up one day and live with our regrets.

Then again, this is the kind of stuff you see over and over again: living life to the fullest, being your best self, and just doing you. Somehow we still do not live by that advice.

Not because we do not want to, but we somehow just can not, and that is just sad to think about. What is funny is I watched this with my 4-year-old cousin and when I asked him what he thought all he said was “I liked the plane and the boy in green’s yellow hair”

In my opinion this is not really a kid’s movie, but a movie to remind us about how it was being a kid.

Abby Olaleye is a junior at the University of Kentucky. I'm currently majoring in Biosystems Engineering with a minor in Biomedical Engineering. I'm a writer for HerCampus because writing is fun and a better way to procastinate.