HC UK’s Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Freshman year can be one of the most exciting/overwhelming times of your life. To be sure all University of Kentucky freshman collegettes enjoy it to the fullest, here is a freshman year bucket list.:

1.) Rub Patterson’s foot.:
The statue of President Patterson in front of Patterson Office Tower is said to be good luck, during finals week lots of students will rub his foot for luck on their final exams. While you’re there, jump up in his lap and take a new profile picture!

2.) Sled/Mudslide in the bowl:
After the first snow grab something to sled on (storage tub lids work great!), bundle up and head for the Bowl in front of Willy T Library to sled!

3.) Go to Tolly Ho late at night:
Tolly Ho is a local college food joint located on South Broadway. They have great burgers and specialty shakes, be sure and tell them it’s your first time!

4.) Go to a football game:
UK may not be known as a football school, but that doesn’t make the games any less of a right of passage! Dress up in true SEC school fashion and head out to Commonwealth on a fall Saturday afternoon to cheer on the Cats! Nothing is more fun than having some great tailgate food and singing the fight song in the student section!

5.) Go to a basketball game:
If you’re lucky enough to win a basketball lottery (most people win AT LEAST once, or you can buy extra student tickets or a ticket from selling one), deck out in Kentucky blue and get ready for some excitement! Whether you’re in the eRUPPtion Zone or upper-level, the Cats never disappoint on the court!

6.) Attend a baseball game:
Head out to Cliff Hagan Stadium in the spring (behind Baldwin Hall) and cheer on the baseball Cats! You can’t beat singing “Take Me Out To The Ball Game” and eating a hot dog while decked out in school colors! Best part? Baseball games are free with a student ID!

7.) Go to the races at Keeneland:
Grab your favorite sundress and head out to Keeneland for the College Scholarship day or a regular meet during the fall or spring meet season. On College Scholarship you can get free gear and possibly win scholarships, but even if you go another day its always fun to watch the races and bet on horses!

8.) Ramsey’s:
For when you miss your grandma’s home cooked southern food, head to Ramsey’s Diner on East High Street and get a huge portion of comfort food. Make sure to get a slice of their famous pie while you’re there.

9.) Create a Wildcat tradition:
The new alumni plaza across from Memorial Coliseum is brand new this semester. Go take a picture with the giant bronze wildcat and maybe create a new UK student tradition like past students did with the statue of President Patterson

10.) Take a fun class:
Here at UK you have to have a specific number of hours to graduate as well as fulfill your core requirements. Why not take a class that sounds interesting to you? Want to get scuba certified? There’s a class for that! There are things like ballroom dancing, volleyball, ceramics, photography and so much more; all offered as classes that you get hours for! Check them out!

Always study hard and focus on your schoolwork, but when its time to kick back and relax, be sure to make some fun memories with your friends too! College is a big experience that is meant to be enjoyed, so always remember to work hard and make time for fun.

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.