Halloween: How to Celebrate as an Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Growing up is difficult, to say the least. Each year we grow older, we have more responsibilities, more bills to pay, and many more unpleasant obligations that come with being an adult.

One thing many people sacrifice in their adulthood is celebrating Halloween. It is very commonly seen as a holiday for children, but it does not have to be solely for the kids. There are many ways you can celebrate Halloween long after you stop trick-or-treating!

• Watch Halloween Movies and TV Shows

There are plenty appropriate movies and shows to watch during the Halloween season – both horror and non-horror options. Curling up by yourself, with friends or with your significant other is a cozy and fun way to spend the holiday indoors – avoiding the cold weather.

• Go To A Haunted House

One of the options available in adulthood for celebrating Halloween that was never possible as a child is going to a haunted house (or maze, hayride, etc.)! These spook-tacular attractions are some of the best ways to get a Halloween thrill. Putting yourself in the shoes of all your favorite horror movie characters is an exciting way to celebrate the holiday!

• Go to a Costume Party

This option is a fairly typical choice of Halloween celebration – especially by college students. Costume parties allow us to indulge in our childhood love of dressing up for Halloween without going door to door asking for treats. Even if you do not make it to a party, dressing up with friends in the comfort of your own dorm can be just as fun!

• Decorate Your Dorm/House

In order to get the spirit flowing for any holiday, decorate your living space! Putting up decorative spider webs, skeletons, lights, and jack o lanterns can give your house or dorm a perfectly spooky vibe. Decorating is the least you can do to celebrate one of the easiest holidays to decorate for!

No matter what you choose to do to celebrate Halloween, there are plenty of options for everyone to choose from.

Happy Halloween!

An introvert who expresses better in writing. Freshman at the University of Kentucky. Avid lover of TV shows, fictional characters, dance, thrift stores, and adventures.