fashion illustration with sunglasses?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
fashion illustration with sunglasses?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Illustration by Sketchify in Canva
Style

Five Fashion Trends to Try This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Fall is finally here and with it comes the yearly revival of many of our favorite activities.  Bonfires, pumpkin carving, and taking cute fall pics are at the top of everybody’s to-do list.  But, with all of this fun on the agenda, along comes the question, “What should I wear?” Luckily, fall is a great time to play around with new trends and add some exciting new pieces to your wardrobe.  With this in mind, here are five of my favorite fall trends to try this year.

The Sweater Vest

I know this trend may sound a little bit like something you might find in your grandpa’s closet to some, but trust me when I tell you that this look can definitely be updated to suit your personal style.  This versatile piece can be worn over an oversized button-up with jeans and sneakers for a more casual look or can be dressed up with a skirt and some boots.  For some extra flair, try adding a patterned shirt underneath or incorporating some eye-catching jewelry for a more feminine touch.  One bonus of this trend is that it is totally ~thriftable~ so you can grab the look for less.

Mary Janes/ Loafers

Shoes are one of the most important parts of any outfit and this trend is here to prove it.  Yet another take on an old classic, a pair of Mary Janes or flat loafers are the perfect way to add a touch of elegance and professionalism to any outfit.  Throw these on with a chunky sweater, your fave pair of jeans, and a matching bag and you’ll have an effortlessly chic look that works in almost any setting.

Pastels

Believe it or not, pastels aren’t just for spring anymore.  Colorful prints and patterns are everywhere this fall and this trend is a great way to add a little bit of sunshine to a gloomy autumn day.  A bright blazer thrown over a turtleneck or a fun pair of colorful sneakers are some great ways to tie these sugary shades into your routine wardrobe.  Plus, you’ll be sure to stand out from the crowd no matter where you go.

Cloth/ Canvas Tote Bags

A convenient and effortless twist on your typical bag, the cloth tote bag is arguably one of the most simultaneously fashionable and useful trends we’re seeing for this fall.  These bags are perfect for days when you might need to carry a little bit more than usual, but you still want to look fashion-forward.

The Trench Coat

Easily one of the most classic and elegant pieces anyone could own, the trench coat is everywhere this fall.  This piece is perfect for taking any outfit to the next level.  Whether you have on a hoodie and your favorite sneakers or a delicate fall dress with some cute boots, a trench coat will be the perfect addition to keep you warm on a chilly day.  And let’s be real here, who doesn’t love a little Sherlock Holmes chic?

To sum it all up, this fall is about taking timeless classics and putting an everyday spin on them.  And I don’t know about you, but I think this is definitely something everybody can get behind.  Hopefully, this list gave you some ideas on how to update your fall wardrobe for 2020.  Now is the perfect time to get out there and get styling!

Emily Sheets is a junior a the University of Kentucky majoring in Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, Emily enjoys reading, spending time with friends and family, and styling outfits. She is passionate about her field of study and hopes to pursue a career in the fashion industry one day. You can find her on Instagram @emilysheets1002.