This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Everyone knows their typical “sun” sign which you find out by the month and day you were born and you get a zodiac sign of an aries, taurus, gemini, cancer, leo, virgo, libra, scorpio, sagittarius, capricorn, aquarius or pisces. Little do very few people know, there are actually other astrological houses and components that shape the person you are within and who you present to the world.

There are so many different astrological houses, placements and components, but the few that i’ll be describing to get you on to the astrology train are, the rising sign/ascendent, moon sign, mars sign, venus sign and mercury sign!

• Rising Sign – Ascendent

This sign describes the first impression that you make to others on a more deeper and personal level. It gives us more detail about ourselves on how we present ourselves and comes across to strangers or even our acquaintances.

• Moon Sign

Our moon sign focuses on our emotions and habits. It’s basically our heart, it describes how we feel, what truly makes us comfortable, at home and safe. This is definitely my favorite sign to learn more about because it really gives you a deeper intel on yourself emotionally.

• Mars Sign

Our mars signs connects to action, desire and aggression. It tells you more about how you go after your goals, initiative and drive. This sign definitely digs deeper into what truly pushes you mentally to go after something you want in life. As a whole, it strongly focuses a lot on energy as well as your sexual energy and tendencies.

• Venus Sign

Venus, like you’d probably assume focuses on love. It is a sign that tells you how you love as a person and what you love. Basically, your love style and your love language.

• Mercury Sign

Also a pretty useful to sign to learn about in my opinion, the mercury sign. Your mercury sign focuses in on how you communicate, your intellect and how you reason and work things out around you. This sign rules your ideas, mind and imagination. When you need to figure something out, or find the right path to get your ideas and point across definitely dig deeper into your mercury sign.

There’s literally so much more to astrology than you probably thought. I’m definitely a firm believer in figuring out your placements and learning more about yourself!

So, If you’re interested in finding out each of your signs then I definitely recommend visiting this website. 

I’m at student at UK, majoring in journalism with a minor in psychology!