Career

Changing Your Major Isn’t the End of the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Changing your major always sounds like a scary thing because it sounds like you are changing your whole life path. You may have thought that you knew what you wanted to do when you started college, but now that you’ve taken classes and completed internships, and your interests have changed. That is perfectly fine, it happens all the time. I’m going to share some tips with you that helped me when I changed my major (I kind of know what I’m talking about because I’ve changed my major three times). 

Before you decide you want to change your major, think about what led you to the idea of changing your major. Are you no longer interested in your current classes? Do you have other interests you want to explore? This is completely fine, there are so many ways you can find out what you want to do before you change your major. If you visit the career center, you can meet with a career advisor to discuss major and career exploration. This is extremely helpful because they will help you assess your academic strengths and interests and even allow you to take career assessments like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interests Inventory. If you still are unsure, there are even more resources that will tell you what career field you can enter with the major you choose. 

One of the most important things to do is consult you advisor (they are here for a reason). Talking with you advisor can help you choose the path you want to take, or guide you to someone who can. If graduating in 4 years is something that is important to you, it is especially important to take with you advisor, because you do not want to choose a 5-semester major when you only have 4 semesters left (this almost happened to me). Your advisor is supposed to be there for you for decisions like this, so make sure you consult with them on a decision like this. 

My biggest piece of advice would be to be confident in your choice. At the end of the day, you are the person taking the classes, doing homework and eventually entering the career field. This is a decision that will impact you and your future, so you have to be happy and confident in your decision. It may be tough to go against your parents, or change your mind on a dream you’ve had all your life. Just remember that you’ll be okay, and it’s not the end of the world (even if it feels like it). 

Resources for UK Students: 

James W. Stuckert Career Center

408 Rose Street Lexington, KY 40506  Phone: 859.257.2746  Fax: 859.323.1085

ukcareercenter@uky.edu

https://www.uky.edu/careercenter/major-career

Hi everyone! I'm Nia, a junior Communications major with a Journalism minor. I enjoy sports, skincare, and food. You will most likely see me working at one of the many sporting events at UK. I enjoy writing and I look forward to writing about a multitude of topics!