Life > Experiences

The Best Ways to Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Galentine’s Day is for the girls.

February 14th has always been known as a day to celebrate love, specifically for people in relationships. However, there are other people in our lives that we love, such as our best friends. That’s why we have February 13th: Galentine’s Day. Thanks to the brilliant Leslie Knope of the hit sitcom, Parks and Recreation, us ladies have a day dedicated to celebrating female friendships. Not sure how to celebrate? I’ve got you covered. Here are some of the best ways to spend Galentine’s Day with your girls.

• Listen to Ariana Grande’s new album

Ariana Grande is all about empowering women and lucky for us, she just released her new album “thank u, next.” The album is full of songs that will make you feel like a girl boss who doesn’t need to be in a relationship (because you are and you don’t).

• Pamper yourselves

Whether you choose to go to the nail salon and get mani-pedis or stay in and do face masks, doing something for yourselves will make you feel great.

• Order food

It’s Galentine’s Day, you shouldn’t have to cook for yourselves. Treat yourself to your favorite pizza or wings…or both!

• Binge watch romcoms on Netflix

Pretty in Pink, Mamma Mia, Sixteen Candles, Sex and the City, and A Cinderella Story, are just a few of the many romcoms you can find on Netflix to watch with your girl gang.

• Make ice cream sundaes

Have everyone bring over their favorite flavor of ice cream and toppings to create the perfect sundae bar.

• Exchange Valentine’s

You probably haven’t exchanged Valentine’s since grade school, but it’s just as fun as an adult. The Valentine’s could be anything from candy to makeup, and it will make everyone feel good to have a bag of gifts to take home.

Samantha is a junior studying Broadcast Journalism and Criminology at the University of Kentucky.