6 True Crime Documentaries to Stream on Netflix this Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It’s finally October, which means most people are looking for a good scare. Personally, I’m a huge fan of true crime as I believe there is nothing scarier than a true story. I’ve watched countless true crime documentaries, good and bad, so here are my six recommendations for you this “spooky season.”

This four-part docuseries tells the bizarre story of the pizza delivery bomber. In 2003, a pizza delivery man named Brian Wells walked into a bank with a bomb around his neck, and walked out with $8,700. Police held Wells outside of the bank as they waited for the bomb squad, but the bomb went off before they arrived. The series is full of twists and turns that will have you on the edge of your seat until the very end.

While living as an exchange student in Italy, Amanda Knox was convicted for the murder of her roommate, Meredith Kercher. After almost four years in prison and a retrial, Knox was released from prison. This documentary tells the story of Kercher’s case from Knox’s perspective.

Steven Avery served 18 years in prison after being wrongfully convicted of sexual assault and attempted murder. He was exonerated in 2003 due to DNA evidence, but was arrested again in 2005 on charges of murder in a different case and was convicted in 2007, but many believe he was framed by local law enforcement officials.

Aileen Wuornos is known as “America’s first female serial killer,” after murdering seven men in Florida between 1989 and 1990. She claimed that all of her killings were acts of self-defense while working as a prostitute but was still convicted and sentenced to death. This film by Nick Broomfield is a follow-up to another film he made on Aileen in 1992.

Novelist Michael Peterson’s wife, Kathleen, is found dead at the bottom of a staircase. Experts argued that her injuries were “not consistent with a fall down the stairs,” and believe Michael is responsible for her death. Elizabeth Ratliff, a friend of the Peterson family, was also found dead at the bottom of a staircase 18 years prior to Kathleen’s death but her death was ruled an accident. This 13-part series tells the story of Peterson’s trial and whether or not there is any connection between the two deaths.

Kelly Siegler and Yolanda McClary are two veteran female investigators that work together to crack cold cases. Each episode brings them to a different small-town where they work with local detectives to bring closure to the families of victims.

Between these six crime documentaries, you’ll find one that’s worthy to binge. Halloween is just around the corner, so these are so appropriate!

Samantha is a junior studying Broadcast Journalism and Criminology at the University of Kentucky.