The 5 Best Places to Study Abroad if You Like Nature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

If you are planning on studying abroad in college or already have, you know making the right location choice is so important. If you appreciate beautiful nature scenes and want to spend all your time outside of classes taking in breathtaking views, here are five places you should consider going.

• Ireland

Something that sets Ireland apart from other locations is that there are no skyscrapers. That is right, even in its capital, Dublin, there is not a building with more than 28 floors. Ireland’s villages are few and far between. Most of Ireland consists of rolling green hills, castle ruins and bodies of water. Some of Ireland’s universities that accept foreign exchange students are Maynooth University, the University of Dublin, and the NUI Galway. If you are looking to go somewhere equally beautiful and peaceful, Ireland is for you!

• Iceland

Iceland is often overlooked because it is isolated from the rest of the world. However, it offers some of the best nature scenes one can find. From the blue lagoons to the northern lights, there is not a part of Iceland that is not Instagram worthy. Iceland is small, so it is easy to navigate around the entire island to see the scenery!

• New Zealand

The island of New Zealand is known for its beauty. It is where many movies and television shows are shot, including The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the recent A Wrinkle in Time. New Zealand has an abundance of blue lakes and snowy mountains to offer. New Zealand has a handful of universities that allow international students, including the University of Auckland, the University of Canterbury and the University of Otago. New Zealand is perfect for students who want to hike and explore in their free time!

• Cape Town, South Africa

Cape Town, is at the very southern tip of the continent of Africa. It is surrounded by deep blue water and mountains that isolate it from the rest of the country. These mountains offer incredible views of the ocean that cannot be seen from anywhere else. Cape Town is perfect for hikers who want a rewarding view. The University of Cape Town has a large exchange program for students that want to study in beautiful South Africa.

• Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

The Galapagos Islands are known for more than Darwin’s observations, they are also known for stunning ocean views and eccentric wildlife. If you like beaches with clear, blue water perfect for snorkeling and walking alongside turtles and other marine life, consider studying in the Galapagos Islands. While there are no major universities on the islands, a lot of colleges offer specialized programs in the Galapagos for marine biology, evolutionary biology, and more. Studying in the Galapagos will be like going to school and simultaneously being on vacation!

I am a first year student at the University of Kentucky majoring in Psychology and Writing, Rhetoric & Digital Studies. My favorite things to do are write and travel, and my dream job would be a travel writer because it combines both of my passions!