This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

One of the common questions a philospphy major faces during the “what’s your major” conversation always seems to be “what, why??” (Generally with a lot of confusion). So, why would one choose to major in philosophy? Well, if it’s the stand alone major, the academia is the common route, and sometimes industry. Considering the many confused faces of the people when this answer is given, philosophy is a great major to supplement with another field of interest. Now you may ask: Why?

1. It helps further your skills, problem-solving ability, and ability to communicate. 

Many philosopy courses ask you to analyze difficult texts and do comparisions between arguments. Which then you learn to discuss and express cohesively within your writing. Just as you look through the history of certain stances of arguments (such as interactionist dualism), you also learn to see the “holes” or dillemmas of some, ask questions about them, think about the other arguments, and maybe even come up with your own stance. All of these things keep you open-minded and improve your ability to express opinions clearly that are well-thought out. And of course, the logic-philosophy courses teach you how to build these arguments by teaching you about proofs. What is sound, what is valid? This will also help you hone your debates you’d have with your friends in the late hours of night. 

2. It will help you think critically within your field

Do you love neuroscience? Have you ever thought about the mind-body dillemma or wanted to think about moral implications of certain thoughts or actions? Supplementing a philopsy course with your other classes would be a good idea! A lot of times, philosophy courses can be taught in specific to a field. This can range from philosophy of psychology to philosopy of love, death, or even the environment! All of these cllasses would teach tou about the thought processes/arugemtns within those fields, and you’d learn how to question and analyze and form new ways of thinking about something specific. Now who doesn’t want to be that person? 

Newly Graduated People Wearing Black Academy Gowns Throwing Hats Up in the Air
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
Of course it’s not necessary to become a double-major with Philosophy, but it would certainly be useful (and fun!) to take a philosophy course or two in the area you’re interested in. Not only will you learn to hone your own skills as a critical thinker, but it’ll also make you a more open-minded person, and have more appreciation of the complicated world. 

UIC Contributor.