This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Collegiettes, last week was a real eye opener for me.  We’ve all heard this before, but communication is key in life, whether it’s speaking to your parents, boss, best friend, or a guy you’re speaking to. Communication can end a friendship or help a relationship grow.  Communication is simple and easy, so don’t avoid it.

Communication changed things for me last week. If I never spoke up and confronted the person, it would have been a friendship ruined. Things were a rocky, and you know misinterpretations and assumptions never end well. I’ve learned that assuming things will just make you feel worse, since we of course assume the worst. We all fall into different categories, since for some of us it’s easy to tell a person what’s on our mind and how we’re feeling. Some of us, however, don’t like telling people how we feel and speaking our minds, since we fear what they might say or just don’t like confrontation.

Don’t let fear stop you from telling someone what’s on your mind. If you let something that upsets you bottle up, then you’re most likely just going to resent that person or yell at the person out of anger and frustration. If this happens, then you might as well kiss that friendship or relationship goodbye. I’m not saying that all hope is lost, because it’s not if you choose to and want to communicate better. Remember it isn’t just on you to communicate with that person, they have to put in the same amount of effort as you, or else it won’t work. Being honest and open is important so that no one makes assumptions or feels this sense of doubt in the friendship or relationship.  Trust me: I can tell you that once I was honest with that person, it cleared up any assumptions I had. Communication is something that can always be improved, so don’t feel as though if you fail once you won’t ever be able to communicate properly.  Good luck, I know you all can do it.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.